Question on import restrictions affecting Russian SKS but not VEPR?

orangello

{also posted in "law & civil rights"}

I recently saw a thread on another forum about newly-produced Russian rifles including some thumbhole stock VEPR's and a model of SKS. I have only heard of one place importing from the producer, and that place only lists the VEPR, not the SKS (doesn't look like a big place).

I emailed to inquire about the possibility of getting one of these new SKS rifles.

I sent: "Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:24 PM
To: Importertoyou@gmail.com
Subject: New production SKS rifles? please & thank you

I was reading on firearmstalk forum about some "new production" SKS & VEPR rifles. Your business name was linked as an importer of these rifles. I subsequently found your website listing the VEPR rifles. The VEPR is a fine rifle, but i was wondering if you had any plans to import the "new production" SKS rifles from that same company. I was sent a link to their website & was very happy to see what appears to be newly produced SKS rifles.

I have an old SKS and love it, but if new SKS rifles are available for sale, i would like to know a price range or predicted availability.

Thanks for your time,"

The response was: "HI, It is impossible to import Russian SKS because it is NOT on an approved item according to the Russian Federation Trade agreement . I know u have seen other type SKS imported like YUGO ROMAINIAN Albainian But there are a number of countries that do not qualify and especially the RUSSIAN SKS .
This is the knowledge I have and belive it is uptodate BUT IF YOU have learned something New let me know . Thanks"
Can anyone hear offer any insight into whether or not this guy is correct about the Russian SKS not being importable?

Thanks!

P.S. I do realize that some SKS rifles are C&R and some are not and that a newly produced one almost certainly would not qualify, but this was the closest forum section i could find. :)