Question on Dillon Square Deal Press

actionflies

Can someone tell me what's the difference between the old model square deal and the new square deal 'B' model. Is $200 with 4 calibers for the square deal a good price?

Buzzard

If the caliburs are what you load then it is a good deal in my opinion.
I have a SDB and love it but ther only draw back is "no rifle" it is a pistol only press.....I love mine...:D

Sevens

Someone else will likely come along with more helpful answers, but here's what I know.
First, a call or e-mail to Dillon will tell you immediately what the difference is.
As for the price, that sounds pretty good to me IF you use all those calibers.
If you buy a Dillon used, you still get full backing from the company, so that's good to have.

Most folks likely wouldn't purchase a Square Deal B if they were buying new because the dies are specific only to the SDB and no other presses, as I understand. So most would opt for the RL550 or above.

I think a new SDB goes for around $150 in one caliber. (that's just a guess) So grabbing a used one for $200 with 4 calibers does sound like a decent deal, but I wouldn't call it an absolute steal.

If it were me and I used each of those calibers, I'd certainly consider it.

But if I were buying new, given all the different calibers I load for, I would probably not buy a SDB and opt for the RL550.

D. Manley

Question on Dillon Square Deal Press
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can someone tell me what's the difference between the old model square deal and the new square deal 'B' model. Is $200 with 4 calibers for the square deal a good price?

The only differences I know of are, (1) the mounting part of the frame has been changed by strenthening the vertical brace (see below) and, (2) the primer slide has been changed to use a longer primer slide return spring.

I have an older version on the original frame and have had no problems whatsoever with it. If someone had one mounted on a bench that could flex under pressure I can see how the new version would better resist cracking the frame. I broke a primer return spring, found the one in my spare parts kit was too long and called Dillon...they informed me of the change in the primer slide and had an entire new assembly enroute same day. The new design puts much less stress on the spring and should virtually eliminate the problem with breakage in the old versions.

For the second part of your question, I think its a very good price in light of it goes for $339.95 new and, the 4 caliber conversions in your deal. Remember, Dillon could care less about the age of the machine or, where you acquired it...their lifetime, no BS warranty still applies so your purchase is risk-free. And, if need be, they will factory refurbish one for the return S&H charges. On the latter, I did this when I got mine and Dillon (thanks, Dillon) even replaced the complete powder measure assembly to the new, fail-safe, system...measure & all.

Last, let me say the little SDB is under-rated and somewhat eclipsed by Dillons other machines. If you need to load handgun only or, just want a high production handgun press it's a great tool. It's simple to set up and use, has a very high production rate, auto-indexing is a safety factor (IMO) and above all, turns out beautiful ammo.

sdbframeversions.jpg

oldandslow

actionflies, 9/14/08

I bought a new Dillon Square deal B about three and a half years ago for somewhere in the low $300 range set up for one caliber- .45. I added a 9mm caliber set-up soon after. I have loaded 49,000 rounds so far, split 60%-40% of the .45 and 9mm. It has been reliable and when any parts have worn out Dillon was quick to replace them free of charge. It's a great machine especially if you are only loading pistol calibers. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

jmorris

I have two SD’s the first my brother and I split the $130 cost, both have been back to Dillon and upgraded (free when I did it). At today’s prices you’re looking at least $570 for the machine and a total of four die sets (conversion kits). They are good machines in the 300 +- rounds per hour speed range. I still use mine from time to time for low volume stuff.