Question on Copper Fouling

SavageSniper

Hi all. I would like you guys opinion on copper fouling. Do some bullets (like 55gr. FMJ) copper foul a barrel faster than others? On a previous post I condemed a scope on my Savage 12 .223 for 6 inch groups all of a sudden. It turned out to be copper fouling. I am used to cleaning the copper out after about 100 rounds, but this rifle will foul in 50. I just performed a fun and extensive test on this:D. With a clean barrel, I have this rifle down to 3/4 moa with factory ammo. Just after the 2nd box it opens up very predictably. It is copper too, because just a normal cleaning will not help much. Is there a bullet that I can use that does not foul soo bad?

Scorch

Sounds to me like your barrel is too rough on the inside. One way to solve this problem is fire-lapping. Since you don't reload, I would recommend buying cartridges loaded with the Tubbs Final Finish bullets (which are coated with a fine abrasive). Loaded ammo is now available. You can buy it from Cabela's, possibly Midway.

How it works is the bullets are coated with abrasive. When you fire them in your rifle, they wear away rough areas and polish the inside of the barrel. 4 or 5 rounds should be enough. Make sure you clean the barrel really well before shooting the ammo.

629 shooter

Sounds to me like your barrel is too rough on the inside.

Yeah thats what it sounds like to me as well. I have a .223 Savage 12BVSS that is incredibly accurate when it is clean , but the fouling happens really quickly and you can see it as the groups open up.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Another possibility: Not all alloys are the same. It might be that some copper jackets are softer in one brand than in another. A softer alloy could "scrub off" more easily.

I dunno how you'd readily/easily find out about differences in hardness.

Sure, a rough surface in the barrel might be the cause, but any shooting burnishes the barrel--copper, lead, whatever. At some point, it's as smooth as you could get it by any other process.

Art

Abndoc

And I've heard that using Tubbs system, while effective, shortens barrel life. I think I would search for other answers, first.

crowbeaner

Art is right; some bullet jackets have more copper in the composition than others and tend to foul even the smoothest barrel faster than others. I go by the "tint" of the jacket color; if it looks like copper (like Hornady) it is probably softer than say a Speer bullet or Sierra. Maybe the moly coating on some brands actually slows the buildup of fouling versus a non coated bullet. I just use a good solvent and try to get all the blue/green patches to turn grey. CB

L Puckett

SS,

1) Yes, the jackets on varied bullets have a difference in hardness and thickness. Hornady is softer than Sierra or Lapua, Berger (J4 jacket) is thinner. Each manufacturer has their own alloy specification.

2) I am not a big supporter of fire lapping due to lack of finite control. I do support hand lapping. When hand lapping is done by a top quality riflesmith, it is a thing of beauty and relatively inexpensive.

If the barrel shoots tight, I'd have it hand lapped and shoot until it's worn out.

LP

Ifishsum

50 rounds isn't that bad IMO - I would get some Sweet's 7.62 or something that will get copper out quickly and just keep shooting it. It should get better with more rounds, especially if you stop and clean it more often. My Savage 12FV .204 had the same problem, now I can go about 80 rounds before it opens up, which I think is pretty good for a small bore high velocity round.

I don't think coated bullets are the answer, either. If the bore is rough you'll still get copper fouling but it will be even more difficult to remove.