Question on BATFE tracking of gun sales

sasquatch

When I picked up a gun yesterday that I had bought online, the FFL I deal with asked me if I hadn't just bought one last week (I hadn't). I asked him why the question, and he said that if a person buys more than one gun per week the dealer has to fill out a form and send it to BATFE. He says it is a federal law.

Anyone ever heard of this one?

RDak

Two handgun purchases at the same time (maybe within one week) requires a special form to BATF IIRC.

9mmHP

Since 1975, federal firearms licensees have been required by regulation (1) and subsequently by law (2) to report all transactions in which an unlicensed person has acquired two or more pistols and/or revolvers at one time or during any 5 consecutive business days (called a multiple sale).

(1) 27 C.F.R. 178.126a.

(2) See 18 U.S.C. 923(g)(3)(A). The provision states, “Each licensee shall prepare a report of multiple sales or other dispositions whenever the licensee sells or otherwise disposes of, at one time or during any five consecutive business days, two or more pistols, or revolvers, or any combination of pistols and revolvers totalling two or more, to an unlicensed person. The report shall be prepared on a form specified by the Secretary [of the Treasury] and forwarded to the office specified thereon and to the department of State police or State law enforcement agency of the State or local law enforcement agency of the local jurisdiction in which the sale or other disposition took place, not later than the close of business on the day that the multiple sale or other disposition occurs.”

sasquatch

Very interesting.

Thank you for the knowledgeable responses. This is news to me.

If the name of the purchaser as well as the serial numbers of the firearms are on this form, doesn't that constitute "registration" ?

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
If the name of the purchaser as well as the serial numbers of the firearms are on this form, doesn't that constitute "registration" ?

The BATFE are required BY LAW to keep this information for a limited time. After that they are required to destroy this information. If they didn't it would be de facto registration which is against federal law. I am certain that the BATFE do this because it is the law. (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more)

sasquatch

The BATFE are required BY LAW to keep this information for a limited time. After that they are required to destroy this information.

That is what prompted my question regarding "registration". BY LAW, the federal government is not allowed to compile a list of gun owners.

NukemJim

The BATFE are required BY LAW to keep this information for a limited time. After that they are required to destroy this information.

Yes BATFE is required by law to destroy info however the City of Chicago is not.:eek:

Daley (Mayor of Chicago) sued BATFE for the data on mulitple sales for the entire country and won. :mad:

Daley says that Chicago needed the data for tracking down "straw buyers".

I believe that this is the lawsuit that I refer to

http://epic.org/privacy/chicago/circuit_opinion.html

NukemJim