Question on .32 Colt New Police

KyJim

I saw a pristine Detective Special today in .32 Colt New Police. I understand this cartridge is essentially the same as the .32 S&W Long. A couple of questions about the cartridge:

1. I understand the .32 S&W Long was simply a longer case developed from the .32 S&W, sometimes referred to as the .32 S&W Short. I assume the .32 New Police will safely shoot the .32 S&W. Is this correct?

2. The .32 Short Colt and .32 Long Colt have slightly smaller case diameters than the .32 Colt New Police and, I assume, should not be shot from the .32 New Police. Is this correct?

Thanks.

jrothWA

Google SAMMI, they have a cross-reference for cartridges...

also the "new" colt cartridges were made with a semi-wadcutter profile that's considered better than the RN. But these are made anymore the S&W style remains.

CajunBass

I've got a Colt Pocket Positive in 32 Colt New Police. I've been told (and read) that 32 Smith & Wesson Long was the same cartridge, just Smith and Wesson and Colt refused to put the others name on their guns.

Anyway, the 32 S&W Long shot fine the few times I fired it.

jhvaughan2

Colts dont fire colts

You are getting the right info.

.32 Colt New Police fire .32 S&W long - NOT .32 Short Colt or .32 Long Colt.
(Colt called this round the .32 Colt New Police)

also

.38 Colt New Police fire .38 s&W - Not .38 Short Colt or Long Colt or 38 S&W special.
(Colt called this round the .38 Colt New Police)

Colt made/makes fine firearms but they lost the lead in advancing revolver cartridges in the early 20th century. Thats OK they still have all the ACPs.

briandg

it's funny, I went to my resource books, and didn't even find information about the "new police." I'm guessing that since it appears to be nothing but a proprietary colt loading of an established cartridge, the S&W, it wasn't given a reference entry.

They didn't say in the S&W entries anything about the "new police" version, either.

I'm not doubting what is said, I just find it funny that those two books left that part out.

jhvaughan2

An example:
c783778fe1c46e542159aac5b0057136.jpg

Nothing but a box of 32 s&W longs.

darkgael

The .32 Short Colt(1875) and the .32 Long Colt both use heeled bullets and are outside lubricated - like a .22 RF. Neither one is like the .32 S&W (.32 Colt New Police).
The .32 S&L Colts used a case that had the same outside diameter as the bullet (about 0.313"). The .32 S&W (1878) and the .32 S&W Long (1903) have a case with greater diameter than the .32 Colts because the entire bullet fits inside.
The Colts are not interchangeable with the S&Ws. The confusion stems from the fact that Colt renamed the .32 S&W Long the "Colt New Police" while still producing the other two .32 Colt cartridges. In addition, Colt also produced yet another .32 cartridge called the .32 Colt which was yet different.
Pete