Question for you HiPoint 9mm owners

gb_in_ga

What kind of ammo do you use for just plain old range & plinking use? What about "truck gun" ammo?

Does anyone use any of the Russian steel case stuff?

1inthechamber

I think most use WWB 115 Gr. round nose. Hollow points have a good chance of feeding problems as I've been reading. Also Russian ammo might be too dirty to use in a HP. I've personally used CCI Blazer 115 Gr., it's the aluminum casing, works good through mine.

I had one for a while, and the most accurate ammo in it for me was Remington UMC. I tried many brands and this was the best "bargain" ammo.

I hope my sig doesn't offend you, just my opinion.

gb_in_ga

I hope my sig doesn't offend you, just my opinion.
Nah, no offense taken. I was just considering getting one for a cheap-o beater -- "play-toy" at the range (cheap gun, cheap ammo), truck gun, tackle box gun -- that sort of thing. Nothing fancy, don't care what it looks like, don't care much if it breaks as long as I don't get hurt, don't care about super accuracy as long as I can shoot a tin can or pop a nutria -- that sort of thing. It would be nice if I could rely on it going "bang" at least most of the time.

1inthechamber

Nah, no offense taken. I was just considering getting one for a cheap-o beater -- "play-toy" at the range (cheap gun, cheap ammo), truck gun, tackle box gun -- that sort of thing. Nothing fancy, don't care what it looks like, don't care much if it breaks as long as I don't get hurt, don't care about super accuracy as long as I can shoot a tin can or pop a nutria -- that sort of thing. It would be nice if I could rely on it going "bang" at least most of the time.

That's pretty much what it's used for. I just shoot paper targets at the range with mine. I say go for it, if you want one, no one should stop you. I think it's fun to shoot with.

CajunBass

I don't think it makes much difference what you shoot in them. I've used Blazer Brass, American Eagle, Remington-UMC, and Winchester White Box, mostly 115 gr fmj, but I have shot 100 rounds or so of 115 and 147 grain HP without any trouble.

I wouldn't hesitate to use steel cased ammo if I could find it locally. Around here, no one seems to carry it.

Cool, if that is what you want it for, ie, truck, tackle box etc, then I would get it. I have been wondering the same thing about a good camping .22 for myself. I have a single six, but it was given to me by by girlfriend and I baby it. But yeah, for your expressed purposes, the HP fits the bill.

P.S. Just for farts and giggles, give it a good and thorough testing with about four brands of ammo at various distances and/or resting and then post it for us. I wish I would have done a THOROUGH test myself just to see. Good Luck with it, Happy Holidays!