Question for the members

Don P

I am looking for a rifle in a hand gun caliber. My 2 choices are 38/357 or 9 mm. Which would be a better choice for 100 yards and under for 2 and 4 leg predators. I currently reload and load for both rounds and PLEASE lets not debate the reload for self defense topic.

jmr40

I can find no practical use for 9mm carbines. Something in 357 or 44 mag makes sense, especially for your stated use.

BobCat45

Yet another vote for .357 over 9, because the possible velocity gain in the longer barrel is greater.

Note that in Marlin Microgroove barrels, jacketed bullets work better at high pressure / high velocity than lead bullets. Jacketed take the rifling, lead tends to "strip" - but lighter powder loads (like cowboy action) can be very accurate in the Marlin with lead bullets.

And - another vote for N110 in full-power .357 mag loads.

madmo44mag

357 for anything bigger than a skunk for sure.
I use to own a Marlin camp carbine in 9mm and was a great little gun but just not enough bullet mass and velocity to do much damage.

DaleA

I'll pile on and say the 357/38 will be more versatile.

(But I still don't like rifles in handgun calibers because you're carrying a RIFLE but you're NOT getting RIFLE performance. Still when somebody mentions a .454 carbine or better yet a .460...)

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
More than one deer or hog has been cleanly killed with the .357. It would definitely be my own choice.

For "play", I found that a .357 with a bunch of H110 behind a 110-grain bullet gives almost 2,000 ft/sec from a six-inch Model 19. Oughta be impressive from a carbine. :)

James K

Member In Memoriam
First, what kind of rifle? There are semi-auto rifles in handgun calibers (Hi-Point makes them in 9mm and .40 S&W). There are also several lever action rifles in .38 Special, .357, .44-40, .45 Colt. I don't recall off hand a bolt action rifle in a handgun caliber (except .22 LR), but there may be some. The semi-auto Marlin Camp Carbine is no longer made, but used ones are around in some numbers.

There are some more exotic guns, like semi-auto versions of the Thompson submachinegun and STEN, but I assume you are looking for something more conventional and commercially available.

Jim

tangolima

Ruger has, or used to have, a carbine in 9mm. The California prison guard used to use that. My friend has one. It works pretty well.

-TL

skizzums

I wouldn't say a 9mm would be useless, but I find a rossi 92 lever in 357 to be a very versatile gun. can shoot the cheapo 38s for fun and the full power 357s for business. you can also get a hi-point carbine in 9mm-.40cal-.45. I know its a hi-point, but they are reliable and pretty accurate, heavy as a tank, but strong like it too, and is only going to put you out 300 or so. you can build an AR15 in pretty much whatever rimless cartridge you could think of as well. but I would take serious consideration of a 357 lever, generally in the 500-600$ range depending. you could also step it up a notch and go 44 mag, but not totally necessary

kel-tec makes some nice pistol-caliber carbines for affordable as well, if you can find one. look at sub 2k and I think they have another

let me add that although 357 is going to be king for power, a 9mm from a 16" can get to some pretty impressive velocities, and if you don't reload and $$ is a concern, 9mm is less than half the cost of any other pistol ammo thses days if you would like to practice a lot. another interesting option would be a semi-auto .30 carbine, http://www.slickguns.com/category/rifles?caliber=28 tulammo makes .30 carbine for around 275-300$ per thousand rounds

Last edited:

chris in va

If I may opine...:p

Have a look at a lever in 44 magnum. Broad range of bullet weights, and you can download to mousefart 44 Special velocities for plinking. Brass lasts longer than 45 Colt too.

That being said I adore my CX4 9mm carbine. I see gains of 200fps from basic lead reloads over a pistol, and stoke it with SD ammo for around 1500fps. Not crazy gains like with a 357 but still nothing to sneeze at.

Onward Allusion

Out of the 3 cartridges mentioned, 357 all the way. In a carbine, somewhere around 2,000 fps. Basically, you got a M1 Carbine where you can use the ammo in a revolver.

44 AMP

Staff
The advantage to a 9mm carbine is the mag capacity. The disadvantage is the magazine capacity, putting these semi autos right in the crosshairs of the gun ban crowd.

.357 Magnum in a lever gun does not have this social stigma. Also its a more effective and efficient round from a carbine.

The 9mm is for fighting off a band of mutant ninja biker zombies. The .357 is for pests, small game (.38s), deer (choose the right bullet) and human predators at moderate range. It boils down to real world utility vs fantasy enjoyment.

(and yes, I have both, a Calico 9mm and a Marlin .357)

tangolima

Ruger PC9 (police carbine) is like a 10-22 in 9mm. Works really well. It recoils like a m1 carbine. I would say it is more practical than a m1.

-TL

Paul B.

"Note that in Marlin Microgroove barrels, jacketed bullets work better at high pressure / high velocity than lead bullets. Jacketed take the rifling, lead tends to "strip" - but lighter powder loads (like cowboy action) can be very accurate in the Marlin with lead bullets."

Bobcat, I strongly disagree. I've had several Marlin Micro-grooved barreled rifles, two 30-30s and a .44 Magnum. With a bullet of reasonable hardeness and properly sized to the barrel, lead is on a worst case basis very minor, if at allThe 30-30 cast load were shot at or near full poewr level and did a great job on deer. Bullets were size to .310". The .44's were sized to .431, tha same size udes in my .44 handguns. For a rifle in ,357 Mag. I wouls size a bullet of about 11 or 12 BHN to 359" to maybe .360" regardless if the rifling was Ballard style or Microgroove. The only rifle I own that is chambered to the .357 Mag. is a Ruger #1 commemorative and it likes .360" bullets in it's standard type rifling.
Paul B.

Paul B.

Guess my choice would be the .357 Mag. as well. Although I loved my Marlin .44 Mag. carbine, I was always a bit afraid that 240 gr. cast lead bullet would pass though an univited individual evel at .44 Spl. rifle velocity and maybe escape to hit some bystander shoot I ever have to shoot. There's a decent possibility that a standard 158 gr. cast bullet would do the same if cast of too hard an alloy. Look at it this way. I get about 1450 FPS from my 6" S&W .357 Mag. and that same load does a bit over 1900 FPS from a 22" Ruger #1A carbine. Across a room or even if the bad guy was at one end of my 60' hallway, I believe that that 158 gr. gas check bullet would go in one side and out the other. That bullet could then exit the home and be a hazard to a bystander. Not good.
Paul B.

The Verminator

I have the stainless Ruger 77/357 in .357 and I love it.

I can easily hit under hunting conditions with an improvised rest or sitting with sling out to 200 yards and I'd not be afraid to try a deer out to 150.

It's very light, so offhand shooting is more of a challenge. A trigger job is a big help, I think.

All in all.....it works great for me.

Don P

First, what kind of rifle? There are semi-auto rifles in handgun calibers (Hi-Point makes them in 9mm and .40 S&W). There are also several lever action rifles in .38 Special, .357, .44-40, .45 Colt

I should have stated, I was looking at the CX-4 and a lever action. I thank the members for there input and most probably will look for in a new rifle Henry and in used what ever makes I come across for consideration