Question for the Glocker's

Don P

I have a G36 and I am having problems with FTE with Speer 185 and 200 grn. hollow points. Hard ball runs fine. Any thoughts without spending a fortune on different hollow points?:confused:

Michigunner

I would pose the question on glocktalk.com. There is a good chance that someone will help.

Glocks are often recognized as taking most ammo. However, I would not hesitate to find another premium .45 hollow point that always works in your G36, and carry that.

My G36 always did OK with the ammo it had, but I did not use many different kinds.

Since the G36 has a short barrel, as I recall, I would consider getting Speer .45 ammo for Short Barrels. It is commonly available online.

I usually shoot most of the box, and then carry the remaining rounds.

Bill

Bruce H.

How new is your G36? I have a Glock 17 that I bought new about four years ago. When I first got it it jammed like crazy. It didn't seem to matter what ammunition I used. One problem was that I had one of those plastic plugs that fills the hole in the bottom of the grip. The plug was sold to me at the gun show along with the gun and I installed it before I even shot the gun. The plug seemed to be pushing forward on the bottom of the magazine. Once I removed the plug the gun became much more reliable. But I still had some jamming. I just kept shooting the gun and after about 400 rounds it began to work fine. I guess that I just had to break it in. I never had to break in any of my other guns. Now I can shoot the gun with complete confidence.
My wife has a G26 and my son has a G21 and they have never had any problems with their Glocks from day one.

awpk03s

Some folks have troubles with the G36 due to limp wristing. Some folks have just had trouble with them in general it seems. Are you anticipating recoil or anything with the hotter loads? I have a G36 and it's great for me, but have only shot 230gr through it - never tried the 185 or 200 loads. You may try the Speer GD 230gr Short Barrel product.

HighValleyRanch

I was going to say "limp wristing" as well, but hesitated because everyone gets so nasty about the subject.
But when I reread the OP's post, he said FTE. That would indicate limp wristing more that FTF. I would think that if it was the configuration of the bullet shape, i.e. round FMJ vs. hollowpoints, it would be FTF rather than FTE.

Also, possible that the lighter weight bullets have more "snap" than the heavier ball, so that might be causing the short barreled gun to whip up more and causing the FTE's.

Have someone else shoot it and see if it still happens.

Don P

G 36

The gun is new and I posted here because for some unknown reason I cannot post on the Glock web site. I truely do not think I limp wristed the times I had the FTE. The case was caught in the slide with the primer end sticking up in the ejection port. I say I don't think I was limp wristing because I was also shooting my 1911's full size and commander size with no problems. Personaly I don't have a problem running hard ball all the time and for SD. I was just curious because of the Glock reputation for being shooter out of the box with all ammo. My G 26 eats everything I have put through it.:cool:
There is no butt plug at this time so we can rule that possibility out. Good point.

Last edited:

BanditSRT8

glocktalk has SERIOUS issues with registering. I thought I was alone, but I recently found out a LOT of people experienced what I did. I tried to register for the first time (never seeing the site before) and a message popped back and said I was IP banned and could not register.

Seems a LOT of people are going through that. I gave up after 2 emails I sent went unanswered from their admins.

KS.45

My 36 eats every .45 acp I try in it. My 19 had issues with HPs when it was new. Ran great after about 50 - 60 rds. of hardball.

Have you done a thorough cleaning of the barrel on your 36? If this is not a new gun there may be some buildup or even pitting in the chamber. When the bullet is fired, the brass can hang on any irregularity.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
The G36 is probably the fussiest Glock pistol that I have any hands-on experience with. I know that the magazine design caused it to have an extended gestation period and some initial teething issues.

Does your pistol do it with every magazine and just those two types of JHP? Do other brands or weights of JHP function?

tplumeri

OK I'll bite, what's a REAL GUN in your opinion?

HMMM, lets see;
i think some of the guns i own are REAL
colt commander 45
EMP 9
kahr PM9
ruger vaquero
blackhawk
dont get me wrong, ive owned glocks, it seemed like the thing to do at the time.
but theres much better guns out there now.
BTW
the "real gun" comment was a joke, you knew that , right?

XD45Sooner

I own a glock, its every bit as real as those guns you mentioned. Glocks are fine weapons, I dont know why so many people bash them so much.

Sorry man I think your thread just got Hijacked.

Don P

G36

Thanks Tamara for your input and for editing my post. I should have used better sense and not stoop down to that level. As far as mags go I honestly do not know if it was one or both mags. As far as ammo it was with the 185 and 200 grain HP's. I am thinking it may be the ammo. After cleaning my 2 1911's and loading the mags with the 200grn. hollow points BOTH pistols jamed trying to chamber the rds. Glad people are asking questions and jogging the memory. I'll try again on Sunday and report the results with my pistol as well as the wifes G36. I hope her's is a runner. She plans on carring it in replacing her G 26. More fire power. She has opted on these two pistols because of the weight factor. The purse gets heavy after a while with heavier pistols. :cool:
Personaly I have never liked Khars products and doubt I ever will.

Last edited:

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
I'm just thinking that perhaps the pistol may have an easier time with bullets that have a more rounded ogive. Perhaps Remington's Golden Saber?

Don P

G36

Thanks for the ammo suggestion. It's worth a try. If thoses should fail 230grn FMJ will work for me. So far the FMJ has been flawless. Thanks again:cool:

KS.45

My 36 runs very well. Bought it used .. previous owner obviously had little enthusiasm for cleaning the gun. It also needed a taller rear sight.

Maybe I'm lucky, but mine has not jammed since I bought it, cleaned it thoroughly, and replaced one magazine that was probably stepped on and bent slightly. The dealer that sold the gun had also done a poor job of cleaning it internally. It has shot many different brands of JHP with no problem.