Question for Smith & Wesson Enthusiasts

TheNatureBoy

I've owned a S&W 4013TSW (earlier model, no rail) for about two years now and am very happy with it. I purchased it at my favorite gun shop for $500. Here is my question. I can't clean the darn thing because the pin is super tight and I can't remove it. I guess I could use a punch and hammer but I don't want to do that. Is this the norm with this particular model Smith & Wesson? This is the first and only one I've ever owned.:confused:

18DAI

Some are very tight from the factory. Not a bad thing, better than loose.

I take the flat side of a plastic toothbrush that I clean my semi autos with, and push it out. Leverage the toothbrush flat against the frame, with the pin centered in it. works like a charm, for me.

Nice pistol the 4013. Hope this helps! Regards 18DAI.

scorpiusdeus

I had the same problem with a 4516 I used to own. In fact it bugged me so much, I sold it. I still regret that decision. Own your gun, never let it own you. Work with it, you'll overcome.

BillCA

First thing I usually do is apply a bit of light oil around the slide stop pin, then work the action while holding the gun left side down. The lubrication often helps break the contact between a steel pin and alloy frame.

Hold the slide in the proper, partially retracted position (aligned on the slide notch). Use a non-marring (plastic or wood) tool to apply pressure (per 18DAI's suggestion) and it should move.

For the one really stubborn one I came across, I used the end of the wooden handle on my light mallet against the pin and braced the head of the mallet on the bench, then pushed. Popped up like a turkey timer. :D

Before reassembly, lightly coat the shaft with a thin layer of grease (Tetra Lube, Gunslick, etc.). This will help in future disassembly. :cool: