Question for Mossberg 500/590 shotgun owners.

bullseye

I will be looking for a used Mossberg HD shotgun. Does Mosberg stamp their product numbers (i.e. 50663)on the gun for identification? With all the product numbers they have this would make identification much easier, esp. with a used gun with no orginal box/paperwork.

lunde

As I wrote in another thread, the Mossberg 590A1s seem to have the six characters "M590A1" engraved on the left side of the receiver (opposite of the ejection port), in rather large characters. I am not sure about the 590s, though, but this should be a good indicator that it is a 590A1 (heavy barrel and steel trigger guard, and steel safety).

[Edited by lunde on 01-29-2001 at 11:45 PM]

J

Jeff, CA

My 590 has the model number stamped on the underside of the receiver, just in front of the loading port.

lunde

To clarify, my 590A1 (#51663) has "590" stamped in small letters on the bottom of the receiver, just ahead of the loading ramp opening. It also has "M590A1" stamped (engraved) in much larger letters on the left side of the receiver. It's clear that it's a 590A1 as opposed to a 590. The five-digit product number, like 51663, appears only on the box.

[Edited by lunde on 01-29-2001 at 11:45 PM]

Snubnose

My Mossberg 500 is actually stamped with "500A." Don't know exactly what the difference is between it and a regular 500

MightyQuinn

Less than a year ago, I purchased a 590. I wanted the 590A1, but apparently Mossberg is not calling them "590A1" anymore. I still got what amounts to the A1--heavy barrel, ghost ring sites, metal trigger assembly, and so on--but the stamp on the bottom of the receiver says only "590".

John

Lightsped

Yes, the "M590A1" is stamped on the left side in large letters. Here is a pic of mine. Also, all A1 models do start with the "51" model number vs the "50" model number.

mberg590a1lftside.jpg