question for LEO's

STEVE M

How often do your departments buy new pistols? Just curious as to how

old police trade-ins are. I know there are various reasons for departments to

trade in guns and I'm sure the # of years varies a lot, but I've been curious.

ISP2605

7-10 yr cycle. Night sights start going dim. Some of the guns start getting pretty high mileage. Usually can do swap outs for not much more than new night sights.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's All-

When I was a former member of an upscale PD in the state of Alabama,
duty weapons (sidearms) were not furnished by the department. Each
individual officer was responsible for the purchase of his/her duty piece.
Requirements were: .38 Special (9m/m for self loaders) or larger, and
being able to qualify with your choice 3x a year. I chose to carry the
SIG-P220A in .45ACP; and it saved my bacon on numerous occassions.

Best Wishes,

Sir William

Depends. Sheriffs change and the new one may just not like Glocks. This could happen every 4 years. Many SOs change weapons, uniform colors and fleet vehicles every 4 years. Jails may have weapons for 40 years or longer. When I first pinned on a badge, we changed from a Marshal to SO contact patrol to a police department. We changed badges, uniforms, cars and weapons three times in three years. An agency close to us had their 8-pt hats and M&Ps that they had been packing since WWII. It depends on budget and outside influences. If the agency gets more taxes and can afford to modernize, they will. If a city or county manager thinks Glocks at cost is a good deal, they will probably jump at the deal. Glock is well known for offering high trade-in values, lower than retail prices and training to agencies. The average age of weapons can widely vary.

Archie

Depends...

When I was a humble but lovable Border Patrol Agent, the agency replaced worn out guns on an 'as-needed' basis. Or one could carry one's own. They still had guns in the inventory with Poncho Villa's initials carved on the butt. (Seriously, I saw some old Colt Police Positives that were collectable.)

My current agency (who will remain nameless to protect the guilty) has had three different issue guns (different models) in 17 years and has just contracted to replace them again.

NYPD9415

Right now we are on the same schedule with sidearms as our vests so about every five years.
My issue G19 is less than 1 year old and so is my zero-g IIIA vest.

AUG

I am not police officer anymore but in my area the more progressive depts. would change about every 15 years. The two departments I worked for both issed guns for the first time when I worked there. They went from officer supplied to issue. I hated it both places. I would have to say that my former depts. will keep those guns until we all switch over to nuclear plasma cannons considering they spend every dime they can on vehicles.

You guys that have worked for elected sheriff's can probably relate. One sheriff is a gun sheriff and issues new guns. Another is a "parade" sheriff and wants sharper uniforms. Another may want to change paint schemes. My sheriff was a "car sheriff". We had bi-weekly car inspections and if our car was not in showroom condition our pay was held untill the car was spotless. We always had new take home cars every 2 or 3 years but we got short changed on everything else. For instance we were issued 4 long sleeve shirts, 4 short sleeve shirts, four pairs of pants, one milkman hat, two clip on ties, one pair of $35 black boots, duty pistol with 3 mags, and a portable radio.

No ammo or duty gear and we even had to buy our own badges and vest.

It was a strange situation because we were one of the highest paid SO's in the state and had plenty of money but when morons spend money they usually don't spend it well.

STEVE M

It sounds like (baring budjet and new bosses) about 5 to 10 years. That

sounds reasonable to me. Often wondered how old the trade-ins were.

Anyone know of a web sight to find a guns age by serial number? (I may need

to make that last question a seperate post.)

ahenry

Archie,

They still had guns in the inventory with Poncho Villa's initials carved on the butt. (Seriously, I saw some old Colt Police Positives that were collectable.)

I’ve heard rumors of what is stored in the armory of the NFU
Oh how I wish I could spirit away a few

Jeff22

replacing duty guns

Most of the agencies around us specify a list of approved models, and the officers buy their own sidearm.

My PD issues guns. They went from S&W revolvers of various types to the Sig 226 in 9mm back in 1988 and just this year bought DAK Sigs in .40 cal. (During that time we only had one gun catastrophically fail. Mine. Broke a slide rail after almost 11 years and 30,000 + rounds).

abelew

Best thing for you to do is go onto the internet and do a search. I know around here the SO issues, hates glock, and allows you to carry your own as long as the caliber and weapon is approved. That said, each gun should be looked at on its own merit. Some may be in great condition because the officer took care of it, some may be in really crappy condition. If its officer supplied, then the officer may swap weapons often, or not very often so the varience may be pretty wide in an officer supplied weapon area. My suggestion is to go look at them, and look closely for bad barrels, etc. Cosmetics are not so important as holster wear will probably be abundent, but if the parts are in good operating condition the it would probably be a safe purchase.

AUG

I would think holster wear would not be as big of a problem as "grip wear" on a duty pistol. I know my duty pistols took a real beating on the grips and the parts of the gun NOT in the holster. Then again I was issued SIGs and the finish fell off if you looked at it funny.