Question for Glock owners

Catfishman

I prefer Glocks over any other handgun I've fired. I'd like to hear from like minded people.

Glocks seem to be exactly what a gun should be in every way except one: Plastic sights! Glock makes steel sights, why don't they put them on their guns?

Mounting plastic sights on a steel slide is asking for trouble.

Any other, far from perfect Glock attributes I've missed?

Mrgunsngear

Plastic sights are just for cost. Other less than perfect attributes---general lack of options. Color, grip size, single stack, ect... They make perfection, whether you like it or not :D

Me, I love it :D

beeenbag

less than perfect for me is the polygonal rifling. Also the place of production is not perfect to me. These are the only two reasons I no longer own Glocks.

TailGator

My EDC is a Glock 26. Glock does a lot of things right, the biggest of which is that they keep cost down and reliability up by building what is essentially a single design with relatively few parts.

While that design certainly has its strengths, it doesn't serve every purpose for every person. I like it for EDC, but I have other pistols for other purposes, and other people make other choices for EDC that are just as legitimate. If you like it for your purposes well enough that only the plastic sights bother you, that is an easy and inexpensive change to make. Recognize that it is one of several high quality manufacturers, and don't feel obligated by other people's opinions, because they are based on their own needs and preferences, not yours.

Pond James Pond

Even though local laws would make this a problematic option for me to enjoy, a factory, easy-on, easy-off .22 conversion kit would be nice...

Or even a .22 pistol, à la SR22.

They are nice guns, but perhaps sometimes their design is too geared toward duty use, and less toward civvy recreational use.

Catfishman

Recognize that it is one of several high quality manufacturers, and don't feel obligated by other people's opinions, because they are based on their own needs and preferences, not yours.

I don't feel obligated by other people's opinions. I have owned Glocks for years and was satisfied and impressed. But then the front sight fell off my Glock 20. I took it for granted that the sights where strong. Now I'm wondering if there are any other undeniably inferior attributes.

I don't mean opinions, like grip angle. I'm mean factual problems that should be corrected.

BTW - I would like them more and pay more if they where manufactured here.

chewie146

I have never seen a problem with Glock's sights, and they're incredibly easy to replace, which may be one reason for it. That being said, I like steel and had some night sights on my 26. Nowadays, all I carry is a Smith .38.

AK103K

Plastic sights! Glock makes steel sights, why don't they put them on their guns?
I was wondering the same thing about Colts plastic MSH's and triggers.

Personally, I either bought factory night sights (steel), or replaced the plastic ones with night sights (steel), so its really a non issue as the steel sights are readily available if thats what you want.

Grip angle
Being a former die hard 1911 fan, and as much as I used to believe this and even debated about it, now that Im living with Glocks, I realize its just another over blown issue thrown around by those who lack experience with them.

As with any of them, there is a difference too between picking one up and basing everything on that, or maybe a mag or two out of someone elses gun, and actually taking the time to shoot and learn one, and see what they are really about.

I would like them more and pay more if they where manufactured here.
Im hoping they dont. Once that happens, things usually go downhill pretty quick.

MontyCop05

BTW - I would like them more and pay more if they where manufactured here.

Glock's can't be manufactured here. At least not 100% of them anyway. That amazingly tough finish on Glock's; Tenifer, can't be legally used in the US. Cyanide is used in the tenifer impregnation process and the almighty EPA says thats a NO-GO. Glock WAS going to attempt to manufacture 51% of each gun here, (which is required by the US govt) to compete in the JSAAPs, but they ended up not even being in the trials at all because Glock's didn't fit the reqirement criteria.

jmr40

Grip angle

It is really a shame more gun companies have not followed Glocks lead with their "improved" grip angle. Lots of good guns out there but the Glock grip angle is what makes it a more natural pointing gun, it reduces muzzle flip, felt recoil and makes accurate rapid fire easier.

graysmoke

To improve the grip angle and feel of my Glock 23 Gen3.... I placed a Pachmayr Tactical Slip-On Grip Glove on it.....Great improvement for my personal preferance..

Joseywales3

If Glocks are perfect, why are so many folks taking a Dremel tool to the grips?

Why they ever installed finger grooves is beyond me.

A flat grip allows the shooter to place their fingers wherever they like, soooo they fit everybody. The finger grooves dictate where the fingers must fall and mine don't like it at all on the 19.

I bought a 19 that has the Pacmyr slip on and it's actually a lot better. If I find I can't live with it, I'll just dremel the grooves off. I talked to one guy who has already de-grooved over 40 guns for folks.

AK103K

If Glocks are perfect, why are so many folks taking a Dremel tool to the grips?
For the same reason I had/have skateboard tape on my 1911's, SIG's, and a few others that wont take stippling.

Glocks are a lot more user friendly to personal customization than most of the others. If you dont like the finger groves, hack them off and shape the grip to suit, if you want a complete "cat tongue" type grip that wont peel or wear off, and locks the gun in your hand like you wouldnt believe, get out the soldering gun and have at it.

People have been sending their guns out and paying good money customizing pretty much everything since the giddy up. Glock just makes it easier to DIY and save even more money for ammo.

DrDamnit

I love SIG, they've always made me proud. I bought the SP2022 ("The Glock alternative") and loved it for the first 2k rounds or so. Then I ditched it and got a Glock 21. I also own a 17c.

I can't tell you how happy I am with my Glock. Sure it's a bit like holding a brick, but every round that leaves my 17c lands exactly where I want it to. If that's not a thing of beauty, I don't know what is. I still love SIGs, and that just won't change, but I've gone from being a Glock hater to being in absolute awe of their capabilities. Just the other day I tossed my 21 into a pile of dirt just to see for myself, and it ran rounds just fine.

Catfishman

Quote:
"I would like them more and pay more if they where manufactured here."

Im hoping they dont. Once that happens, things usually go downhill pretty quick.
I wish I could argue with you there.

voyager4520

I wouldn't mind if they went to a steel trigger and trigger safety with an actual spring for the trigger safety. I put factory steel sights on my G27.
I would like them more and pay more if they where manufactured here.
They do make them here, but the ones made here are not sold here. Only some of the full size frames made here are sold here, and they're combined with slides and barrels made in Austria. The ones made entirely here are sold in other countries like the Philippines, and I haven't heard one negative report about them yet.