Question for fellow Percussion or Flintlock Shooters

DennisCA

I have two percussion guns (one rifle and one pistol) and just wondering how many use the ramrod it came with or do you use a replacement Replacement Ramrod?
If you use a replacement; any recommendations?
:D

Smoke & Recoil

Replacement...not really, only a longer one for field loading. Made from
chimney sweep fiberglass rods for my .56 Thompson Center 3/8" dia and a smaller one, 5/16" dia for my Thompson Center .36 Seneca. Driveway markers
are fiberglass as well and that is what I use for the Seneca.

Pahoo

Love Hickory but it has it's limits.

On most of my SideLocks, I try and maintain their traditional Hickories. For hunting, I replace the Hickory with a poly rod or black coated aluminum. I don't want to be in a position of breaking a Hickory in the field even though they are tough, about all they are good for, is loading. When on the bench, I use a range-rod, with bore guide. They are made of a poly yellow jacketed fiberglass and made by TC. I make my own Hickory and Delrin plastic rods. I'm sure there are other equally good plastics but have been using Delrin, for a number of years and the last I bought was black from McMaster Carr. ... :)

Watch out for solid fiberglass rods as they will eat your muzzle. ..... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

I use a solid, one piece brass range rod. It makes loading fouled bores a mite bit easier but I do have to swab it out every now and then.

kwhi43

I use stainless steel on every one I own. Each rifle and pistol has their own
Rod. The rods have a jag on one end and a round smooth knob on the other
with a bore protector brass or plastic collar.

Replaced all my T/C wood originals with heavy wall brass tube. Brass tube seems to snug up tighter in its channel verses those old wood original's.

wogpotter

One of the unbreakable polymer ones on the range. If I do some kind of woods walk thing then the fitted hickory.
I've seen too many graphic images of people with pointy sheared hickory implants to be too trusting.

DD4lifeusmc

ramrod

My CVA is 35+ years old.
Broke one, lost one.
But continue to use the original wood Ram rod (not thee original but one I made like the original).
Bought the dowel and the tips.
These days I sometimes use a brass muzzle guard.
Or a small block of wood tapered to match the muzzle and about
2" tall and about 2" diameter, and a palm saver I made.
Helps prevent breaking the rod, and protects the muzzle hand if it does.
Personally I believe it would be a more period correct piece of equipment
than fiberglass.

deerslayer303

I use a range rod. I try not to use the original at all really. I have a unbreakable one I bought from Gouger Mtn. It's marketed by CVA, has a T handle and is tough as nails.

bedbugbilly

I usually use a "range rod" - basically the same as the ramrod but longer so I can get a good grip on it when running a patch down and back between shots. I find it easier to have a little more to grab on to for seating a load as well. On my Fusil-de-Chasse flintlock - I use a 1/2 hickory range rod but it's a .62 caliber. On my .36 H & A under hammer - I replaced the original wood rod with a fiberglass rod - about 4" longer than the original. (5/16" rod).

Pahoo

Metal rattles and clinks in your Hunters !!!!

Replaced all my T/C wood originals with heavy wall brass tube.
That will work as well as aluminum but if you are hunting with one, be mindful that they can rattle and make a clinking sound and the deer will bust you .. :mad:

I once ordered an MK-85 from Knight and it came with an aluminum rod. Contacted them and they sent me a new replacement Poly impregnated rod. ... :)

Be Safe !!!

Pahoo

As usual, it's in the details

I thought that was kind of a cool thing to know.
You didn't ask but let me refer you to the description from your link. I have Hy-Lighted a portion for good reason. ...... :rolleyes:

The new aluminum ramrods are lightweight replacements for the conventional wooden rods. The ramrods are machined from aerospace aluminum and are black anodized to prevent corrosion. These rods will not cause excessive wear to the rifle crown or rifling of the barrel. The rods are very durable and will withstand wear and tear of normal field conditions. We have rods that are compatible with most rifles made in the US, Spain, and Italy.

Be Safe !!!

kwhi43

Thought I would post a picture of one of my stainless steel loading & cleaning
rods. This one is for my 32 caliber pistols. I have longer ones for all my rifles.
The jag on the end is threaded so if you lose a patch or want to pull a ball you
can just screw on a worm, or ball puller. I make these myself. This one is about
25 years old

9172a582692c2adcb213e2d849be925f.jpg

Hawg

I've seen too many graphic images of people with pointy sheared hickory implants to be too trusting.

If you keep your hand close to the muzzle a good hickory rod wont break.

Pahoo

Good Safety Point

I also use white tape to mark the rod for unloaded and loaded just to be safe.
Great point, Tom as this is one of nineteen safety guidelines that we teach at our M/L Hunter Safety station. .... :)

Be Safe !!!