Question for bullet casters.

griz

Which bullet lube smokes the least but still prevents leading?

I am shooting store bought bullets in my 45 and on an indoor range it gets cloudy fast. I'm hoping to cast my on and I'm looking for less smoke.

Thanks, griz

David Wile

Hey Griz,

I have an indoor range in my basement, and I shoot a lot of bullets that I personally cast, size, and lube. In my experience, your choice of powder and the amount of powder have far more to do with smoking up the indoor range than cast bullet lube. I know that in my range, we can shoot .22 ammunition all night with very little smoke. As soon as we start shooting centerfire ammo, we have to start the ventilation fan. There is also a big difference between shooting a few grains of Bullseye in a .32 auto and shooting 14 grains of Bluedot in a 44 Mag. I use RCBS and Lyman bullet lubes for my cast bullets, but I personally do not think the lube has anything to do with producing enough smoke for one to notice. Powder is a different thing, however.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Pampers

Precision Bullets

sells a cast bullet coated with a polymer substance which contains moly. No leading and precious little smoke.

I disagree with David Wile. Identical loads using the SAME powder & charge will smoke MUCH less with a jacketed bullet than with a lubed cast bullet. It's the lube, NOT the powder!

And by-the-way, there is a way to reduce the smoke from the lube of any cast bullet. That is an under bullet wad. I personally prefer P-Wads (Polypropolene) from NECO, aqnd have also had success with Wonder Wads' heavy wool underbullet wads. Felt, cardboard and plastic wads cut from milk jugs will also work.

Watchman

I use a "hot" lube.

Thompson's "Blue Angle" available from Midway .

You gotta have a heater plate to put your sizer on for it too work. I have found it to be better and more accurate than anything else on my cast bullets.

One advantage is it stays on and dose'nt melt if it gets hot out.

The guns seem to lead up less than with a soft lube.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Been using Lyman's Orange Magic lube - like it. .357s & .30 cal rifles. Need a warmer plate on your luber.