Question for BHP Knowledgeable Members

Coltdriver

I looked at an Argentine HP today.

Does anyone know if they were built in Argentina under FN License or were they built in Belgium for the Argentine Miltary?

Also, when in an un cocked position, if I pulled on the trigger it seemed to move the slide a bit and even snugged the slide down against the frame. Is this normal or a sign of wear?

There were no other examples to compare with.

Thanks in advance for your help.

railroader

I had two FM highpowers. They were made in argentina and were licensed to be made by FN. On the trigger, the movement comes from when you pull the trigger the transfer bar is in the slide not in the frame. A little movement is normal.

James K

Member In Memoriam
That slide movement is pretty normal with the BHP. When you pull the trigger, the trigger bar rises, and pushes on the front end of the transfer (sear) bar, which is in the slide. This can actually cause the slide to move, adding the weight of the slide to the force resisting the trigger pull. The rear of the sear bar pivots down, pressing on the front of the sear, and moves the back of the sear out of engagement with the hammer. This "around the corner and down the street" linkage makes it pretty difficult to put a really good trigger pull on a BHP.

The whole thing is something of a Rube Goldberg device, and not one of JMB's better moments, but he had the problem of trying to get the trigger-sear connection around the large magazine without making the grip bigger than it already was. Most hi-cap pistols today simply use a wider trigger bow, but in those days people were not used to big pistol grips, and a lot of people did not care for the BHP for that reason.

Jim

Gewehr98

I was under the impression...

That Mr. Dieudonne Saive had his bit in that high-capacity magazine breakthrough, and in fact continued refining J.M.Browning's (God rest his soul) original striker-fired design after The Master's death in November of 1926. He made use of Colt's 1911 patent expiration date in 1928 to dispense with the bulky breech-bolt mechanism, until the new pistol looked progressively more like the Hi-Power we now know, w/exposed hammer, 13+1 rounds, and graceful lines.

I'm sure if John Moses were there guiding design until the production, the lockwork would have been somewhat more elegant.

Here's a more detailed timeline:

http://fnhipower.com/chapterone.html