Question for all the LEOs....

czmatt

I have been thinking latley (which generally gets me in trouble) and I have been wondering how all you LEOs got into the law enforcement field. Would you make the same choice to join if you had it to do all over again? What is your favorite part of the job? Thanks.

eka

A good question Matt. I got into law enforcement for the excitement and challenge initially. I wasn't married and had no kids. I was completely hard-core and eaten up with it. I worked a rotating shift and most holidays. I didn't care, because it was just me anyway. Heck, if I had missed out on chasing drunk drivers on New Years Eve, it would have been like missing the first day of deer season when I was a kid. Working patrol was fun. There was plenty of action and a variety to the job. Then I got married and a little later had two kids. Having a wife and very young children didn't change things a whole lot. But, when the kids get older and become involved in activities, working weekends, crazy shifts, and holidays loses it's appeal. Not to mention you are getting older and starting to view life and whats important to you a little differently. That was when I started looking for different assignments. Fortunately in my department, there are options. I worked three years as a narcotics / vice officer. First year of that was a blast. I was suddenly included in all of the secret circles and got to sneak around and dress very casually. It was a big change from the spit and polish of the uniform division. By the time I left that assignment, I was tired of fooling around with drug users and drug dealers on a daily basis. The only contact with "decent" people was other narcotics officers. I then requested assignment to CID (criminal investigation division) that is where I am today. I think I have finally found a home. I have been a detective for a long time now. I only work felony crimes. I work dayshift and have the weekends off. I no longer work holidays either. I am very active in coaching Little League Baseball and have the time to do it. Not too long after I came to CID, I was assigned to a multi-agency taskforce charged with investigating three cold homicides. The taskforce was located at the local FBI office and headed by the FBI. That was a lot of fun and a lot of hard work. Didn't get any of them solved though. These days I just go about my business investigating my cases. After all these years I still get a charge out of putting the bad guy in jail. Police work takes it's toll on you though. It makes you distrustful of people in a way. In general, law enforcement has been very good to me. It's paid my bills for a long time. I have been exposed to a side of life that I wouldn't otherwise been. Now, would I want my kids to follow in my footsteps and become a cop? I would like to see them aspire to a different profession. But, I know enough to let them make their own career choices. Now for the three most asked questions. Have you ever pulled your gun on someone? yes. Have you ever been shot? No. And, have you ever shot someone else? No.
Anyway, I hope this helped answer your question, Matt. This post was fun. It brought back some memories of people I hadn't thought about in a long time.
Take care.

LawDog

Staff Emeritus
I had gone to Amarillo to register for the local Paramedicine Technology program. When I go there, the Sweet Young Thing at the Office of the Registrar told me that the program was filled up, but that they would put me on the waiting list for the next run -- in two years.

The Law Enforcement program was still open, so, with nothing better to do, I signed up.

First job was in a podunk little county, with a lousy pay scale, too few officers/too much work, and armpit-deep in ... unusual people.

I loved it.

I've been in Law Enforcement ever since, except for a brief period where I was privately training Law Enforcement. Really can't imagine doing anything else.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

My favourite part is rural patrol. People call when they really need help, so I'm useful, but the usual problems you run across don't cause nightmares.

LawDog

FallenPhoenix

I'm looking at a law enforcement career of some kind when I get my CPA *hint*

My dad was a police officer for nearly 20 years and I guess that was a large part of what initially got me interested in law enforcement. Besides that, the desire to stop those who would victimize those weaker than them is a large part of my drive.

Loam&LtGrn

I've been in law enforcement 5 years with my last two in criminal investigations...like eka, I've found a home, I'm retired Army with no prior law enforcement experience...plus, everything the Army taught me was a felony... :cool: