Question Answered

cdbeagle

Brand new to reloading and am looking for components while waiting for my reloading equipment to arrive. I was looking at a website that sells once use brass for .223 and they have some. It says "Federal 223 FC Crimp (250ct)". Can someone tell me what Crimp means?

Last edited:

oldandslow

cdb, 2/7/13

A crimped-primer usually means that you have to either ream out or swage out the crimp before reloading the new primer into the case. The crimp is usually put into cases for the military to prevent any backing out of the primer during firing. This means that you have an extra step to each and every case. The good news is that you only have to do it once before the initial reloading cycle. For me it's a pain and I try to get cases with non-crimped primers but will ream out the crimped primer pockets of any range brass I pick up. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

mjes92

Crimp remover / swage

If you are looking to do a high volume of crimps I recommend a Dillon Super swage 600. They are worth the price. Fast and a well made tool.

Other swage kits where available to adapt single stage press for cartridge swaging. Just havent see one for several years.

Cutting or reaming the primer pockets is slow and messy. MHO

ScottRiqui

+1 on the Dillon Super Swager - I love mine. One word of caution, though - you only want to swage the primer pocket just enough that the new primers will seat. You don't need to remove all visible traces of the crimp.

If you swage the pockets too much, you'll end up with loose primer pockets, or you may have trouble getting the cases into and out of your shell holder. But it's not as finicky as it sounds; once you've adjusted the swaging pin to the correct depth, you can swage cases as fast as you can swap them out and pull the lever.