Question about XD finish

D-Bak

Hey fellas.... I am picking up an XD9SC in a few weeks and i was wondering if Springfield will refinish this pistol if the starts to rust (which is a known problem of the old finish)

It seems like it should be covered under the warranty since they have improved upon a known inferior aspect of the product...

Thanks in advance for the info....

D-Bak

Impreza

I don't think so...rust was one of my main reasons for passing on the XD...i even seen a bio-tone with rusty grip safety.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ has a dedicated rust section...which scared me right away...i'm sure if you take care of it properly and wipe that sucker down alot it should be ok.

The new ones come with Melonite but it's only the slide or atleast it looks that way from teh pics.

jlh26oo

So you know that is the old finish? Why not p/u one with the new? Deal you can't pass on or something? I'm sure it will be fine, probably will never even see any rust- but whatever you are saving on the deal by getting an old finish, that's probalby going to disappear if/when you ever DO have to send it in. Unjless they cover shipping.

I'm certain sa will take care of you if you have a problem either way though.

CDH

If Springfield "advertises" that they will refinish earlier XDs that have rusted, they would have virtually every XD made sent to them for "free" refinishing.

The facts are:
Only a few people have reported some evidence of rust on the earlier XDs. It just seems like a universal problem because of the way the Internet works (you know, one person says something and 500 other people repeat it within 24 hours which then repeats exponentionally).

The way you read some of these "rust reports", you'd think that the pre-Melonite finish actually caused rusting, which of course, it didn't. Anyone familiar with guns knows that if you maintain a finish of ANY kind and keep it lubricated, it won't rust. What that means, and this has been stated by Springfield, is that the incidence of rust on early XDs is low enough to suggest that owner maintenance (i.e., lack of) is the cause of the rust rather than it being a finish problem.
People who buy pistols with these "wonder finishes" seem to think that you never have to touch them with an oily cloth again, nor oil in places where you would otherwise ALWAYS oil on blued guns.

With that said, it IS accepted that the Melonite finish used now that replaced the earlier type finish is a more durable finish. The Melonite is identical (not similar, but identical) to what is also known as "Tennifer" used on other pistol brands.

What applies to your case is that ALL of the XDs made during April '06 and after have been manufactured with the newer Melonite finish.
What that means to you is that if you are buying a new pistol in the next few weeks, it will almost for certain be a Melonite finished pistol unless it's sat at the dealer for MANY months.
I bought my XD9SubCompact on July 4th of this year. I was curious myself which finish it had so I contacted Springfield with my serial number and they told me that mine was manufactured WITH the Melonite finish during the later part of the month (April) in which they began using it.

If you are buying a used XD9SubC, I doubt if Springfield would warranty it since most warrantees aren't transferable to subsequent owners. However, if the price is right, you would be better off sending it off for a Diamond Kote finish which is far superior to what Springfield would do to it anyway.
Pistols sent back to Springfield CANNOT be finished in Melonite because that "process" MUST be done at the time of manufacture.

Carter

KRoyal

Well I can attest to it, If you guys read all my other post you can tell i love my XD, But it does have a rust issue for some reason like the grip saftey and all the pins and actually every metal thing on my gun that isn't the slide... The slide does rust but not very much.

ifd35

Well I don't claim to be an expert on the subject nor have I done any research on the finish of the XD and how easily it does or doesn't rust. I will say that I have had my Service .40 XD for over three years now and I have shot it in the rain and snow. Another words it has gotten wet during use. Just like any of my guns when I am done using it, it gets cleaned and wiped down with a towel. I have yet to see any rust of any sort on any part of the gun. I don't wipe it down with oil...some would say that is bad. So coming from a XD owner and avid user, I would have to say that so far I have not had any problem with rust at all. Just like any gun, the better you take care of it the longer it will last. I love my XD and would recommend anyone in the market for a good reasonably priced gun to strongly consider purchasing a XD.

jlh26oo

kRoyal said:
Well I can attest to it, If you guys read all my other post you can tell i love my XD, But it does have a rust issue for some reason like the grip saftey and all the pins and actually every metal thing on my gun that isn't the slide... The slide does rust but not very much.
Yeah, and you've probably been kind of hard on yours. Besides, not-rusting is overrated. I bet your XD still runs flawless, right KR?

KRoyal

Yes sir,
I would put life in the hands of my XD anyday of the week. I think its just me and were i live that is doing it. I just bought a new 1911 and shot it for the first time then brought it home and cleaned it really well then went to the range again yesterday and had the gunsmith look at it because he hadn't got to see it yet... and when he racked the slide my barrel was completely rusted. so I think its the humidity where i live at. I also have sweaty hands so when i grab my XD the grip saftey gets a little wet and some of the pins around the grip.
But to answer the question my XD funtions just as good as the day i bought it.

Also what makes you think i've been rough on it LOL?

One small problem....

....SA will re-finish any XD sent in due to rust issues, but be aware, it will not be re-finished in Melonite...more than likely it will be whatever "paint" they use...;)

Livinloud5

Ok for a simple answer! All the new ones since about 3 months ago or more have the new melonite finish which almost eliminates rust from occuring. And if u take care of ure gun and clean it after each use and oil it properly, than u shouldn't have to worry about rust happening.

I have the XD-9 Service model with thousands of rounds through it. I have shot in rain and all. I just clean and oil each time and haven't seen any sign of rust.

Blake.

Topthis

Over two years with my XD and I haven't seen a spec of rust either! The finish is a little worn, but so is my Glock! I never did understand the issue with the finish or the rust with XD's. Just thinking that some folks had bad luck with theirs.

mfree

We sell truckloads of XDs and not once have I seen a rusty one, not even in our customers hands. Must be lower humidity around here than some parts of the 'states.

Now, on the other hand, I've seen two rusty stainless sigs, one new out of the box. Go figure.