question about Winchester model 12

btmj

I have a 16 ga. Winchester Model 12, which (according to the S/N cross reference) was made in 1935.

Is it OK to shoot steel shot through this gun?

Jim

Attachments

• DSC06030.jpg
    DSC06030.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC06031.jpg
    DSC06031.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC06037.jpg
    DSC06037.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 27

bbrownie

do not shoot steel shot thru that old gun. the steel shot will not compress like lead shot when it goes thru the choke and could burst the barrel.

Last edited:

30-30remchester

I use an old model 12 for the small amount of waterfowl hunting I do and I use bithmuth shot. As stated above in a fixed choke gun with constrictions tighter than improved cylinder, there is a real chance of swelling the barrel or even splitting it.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
No, not steel nor most non toxics. Bismuth or similar "Soft" non toxics are OK, but best to get an Express for waterfowl and keep this fine old shotgun for other stuff.

Catfish

I have a model 12 that I do shoot steel through, but it is cylinder bore with a Polly Choke on it. I will not shoot steel in any of my choked model 12`s.

btmj

Thanks! This firearm has a lot of family value, so I don't want to damage it. This was my Wife's Grandfathers gun. I thought it would be cool and nostalgic to take it bird hunting. No problem. It is a fine gun for clay birds.