Question about wearing out a legal full-auto

JohnKSa

Administrator
It is my understanding that it is legal for a person with a legally registered fully-automatic firearm to repair the firearm to keep it in working condition.

My question is, what if the receiver wears so badly that it can not be repaired. Can the receiver be replaced and the registry entry adjusted to reflect the new serial number?

If that is legal, could a non-registered receiver be used for the replacement/repair?

Logically speaking, this would be a zero-sum exercise from the standpoint of the registry, but I know it's not always about logic.

5.56RifleGuy

In short, no. If something happens and your registered part becomes irreparably damaged, you are SOL. You would be amazed what can be fixed though.

ClydeFrog

Ma Duece...

The M-2 .50BMG has been around for decades & they seem to hold up in some armorys & military units.

Those & the B-52 bomber aren't going anywhere for a few decades. ;)

ClydeFrog

Willie Sutton

KG-9's, on the other hand, crack their frames and become junk.

If you have a registered cracked pre-86 KG-9 in your collection that you shelled $5000 out for, you might be more interested in how to keep it working. :eek:

Moral: Buy firearms with metal receivers.

Willie

teeroux

In short, no. If something happens and your registered part becomes irreparably damaged, you are SOL. You would be amazed what can be fixed though.

If you made an exact copy (minus damage and excessive wear) with all same markings and made the old one disapear. Who other than you and god would know? I don't believe that the ATF is taking metalugical samples or electron microscope scans of NFA items. Yet....

Skans

Can the receiver be replaced and the registry entry adjusted to reflect the new serial number?

Legally? Absolutely not. I have to believe that your wonderful legislators who passed the '86 ban intended on all of the old machineguns eventually failing beyond repair. That was the intent of the legislation, wasn't it?

You can fix it, but you cannot replace the receiver. Ruger was replacing broken AC556 receivers (rare) - my understanding is that they were replacing them with the few pre-86 receivers they still had in stock.

Willie Sutton

^^ True.

Type 07 FFL manufacturers can destroy a serialized receiver and replace it with another one with the same serial number ONLY if it is done at the factory to replace a defective part, and ONLY if the item has not been shipped out after original manufacture. Once it leaves the factory it is what it is, and no other will legally replace it.

Willie