Question about vortex razor HD 5-20x50 scope

tynman

I just got my Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 and I just need some help if anyone has an idea. And vortex is closed until Monday. I know how to set the zero stop, but what I don't know how to get my elevation turret down to zero without moving the cross hairs? I bore sighted it today and its set center cross hairs to 100 yards but the scale shows that the turret is halfway up. How do I get the turret down to zero? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will try to put up a couple of pictures to show what I mean if they aren't to big to put up.

Attachments

• 20150711_171849BB.jpg
    20150711_171849BB.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20150711_174240BB.jpg
    20150711_174240BB.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

surveyor

On my pst model with weaver mounts on a mauser, I used burris signature zee rings and the offsets, since I could not do a 20 moa base easily.

If you are using 0 moa base and 0 moa rings you will be in the middle of the scopes optical travel more or less.

Sharkbite

Tynman,

You can not move the elevation knob any lower then your Zero setting without changing your Zero. The small screws can be loosened to allow you to rotate the knob around to the 0 mark, but the knob will not move up/down

tynman

I know I can move the zero stop so the turret is all the way down to the scope tube and the scales wont show until I start turning the turret up. That's the way it should be. But with my chamber laser and the cross hairs where I want them then it shows about 5 on the turret scale. My target is about 3 feet off the ground on my fence, when I take to stop lock off and turn the turret all the way down to where I want it to be then my scope is aiming at the top of my 6 foot fence. So I'm just trying to figure out why. And that's the way it came from the website I ordered it from. So I don't know if it was a return cause of that and then just sent to me or it's something else and I will just have to live with it and just use the redical for elevation.

Sharkbite

Hmmmm...

Check out the vids on the Vortex site. I know my PST does not have a true zero stop. Shims and a rotational zero feature. Maybe the Razor is different. Anyway the site should help you out

tynman

I did check all the videos on youtube and there site but i will check again. But i didnt find anything about that except for the zero stop setting. But I would think they would set that turret at the lowest setting possible on that scale and then if you needed to raise it you would go from there (up) and then set the zero stop where you would want it to be. Not line up with my bore half way up the turret. I know changing the rail to a higher one would fix that but then I would have to change the whole hand guard and I sank a lot of cash into this ar 10 with the rifle, glass and rings never mind the extra mags and hard case, to spend more money on it without even a round down the barrel.

tynman

what you see in the picture is the way it was sent to me and after i put the bore sight into the chamber it wasnt that much off. A few click to the right and a few clicks up (I think) but i didnt turn thing to much to mess it up that bad. lol

Hunter Customs

I don't know that you could move the turret down to show zero on the scale after you set your rifles zero.

Even if you could I believe you would still have only half of your MOA or Mill adjustments left no matter where the turret knob is placed.

As for now with your current turret knob setting you should still have somewhere around 62 MOA or 18 Mills of adjustment, that's a lot of inches of drop.

tynman

I'm fine with the scope where it is. I will probably only use the redical for the elevation anyway. But it would be nice to be able to use the scope to it's full range. I'd it's got it why not be able to use it..lol

Hunter Customs

I hear what you are saying but honestly I'm not sure a shooter or his rifle could take advantage of all the MOA or Mills a scope would have.

I believe the Vortex model you have has something like 36 mills of adjustment from the bottom to the top, 36 mills would equate to some very long yardage.

Plus as you stated if you topped out on adjustment you still have several mills on your recticle you can use.

All my scoped rifles are about half way up their adjustment scales after the rifles are zeroed.

tynman

Well you guys are right there is no way to change the travel on the elevation turret. I talk to vortex yesterday and they said the same thing you guys said I would have to put higher rails or higher rings to make it work. And they also said if it was half way up I still had a hole lot of elevation travel left... So I thank you guys for your help.

Hunter so far I like it but I only bore sighted it in my backyard at 25 yards. Clear and the redical is nice too. But I am taking it to the range on Wed the 22nd to set the center cross hairs at 200 yards, and I will be trying to reach out to 300 yards with it while Im there. But so far so good besides the turret travel but I guess if I researched it better I would have gotten higher rings so I would be able to get the full range of the elevation. But again like I said I planned on using the redical for the elevation travel that is why I went with that redical. And I think I get it at a great price scope and vortex high rings with shiooing came out to be $1600.20. I was looking at the nightforce which msrp is $2025 plus rings so I saved a few $$$... I also like the fact that the vortex was first focal point which the nightforce was a second focal point, the nightforce FFP scope was a lot more money and they didnt have the redical I wanted.

Last edited: