Question about twist rates: .223

baddarryl

Hi all. I am looking for a bolt action .223. My question is if I go with a 1:7 or 8 twist rate to stablize heavier bullets at longer range how would a twist like that affect varmit bullets? Mostly will be used for target 4-600 yards, but may also pop the odd coyote at closer ranges. If not I still have an AR with 1:9 for those guys. Thanks.

Although everyone refers to the bullets by weight, what really drives the twist-rate war is bullet length. The Army was quite happy with a 1:8 or 1:9 twist until someone came up with the idea of using the same tracer ammunition from the SAW in the M16 platform. As tracer compound is lighter than lead, it required a longer tail section and longer OAL; this is why the faster twist became necessary. Per Article courtesy of American Rifleman

As far as I know, a 1:7 twist won't adversely affect bullet weights at least down around the 55-gr area.

Jimro

If you are using good bullets the expected additional dispersion going from a 1:12 twist to a 1:7 twist is less than one third of an MOA do to additional dispersion due to bullet imbalance.

Jimro

g.willikers

Probably the only way you will know which ammo works best in your rifle is the old fashioned way - try them and see.
You know, shoot 'em and see where they land.
There's such a huge variety of .223 bullet designs out there.
Lots of length differences among bullets even with the same weight.
Like Jimro sez, will there even be a large noticeable difference.
After all it's still a .22. :)

joed

I have a Colt M4 with 1:7 twist. It shoots 75 gr and 69 gr bullets very well but 55 gr just aren't that accurate. Others claim great accuracy with 55 gr bullets out of a fast twist, couldn't tell it by mine.

overthere

If you will not shoot beyond 600-700 yards then a 26 or 28 inch 8 twist barrel would work fine. You would be able to shoot 80 grain bullets which do great at those distances and shooting 55 grain bullets out of an 8 twist also works well.

If you want to shoot further than that, with 90 grain bullets, then you should go with a 7 or even 6.5 twist at 28 or 30 inches.

Note that to shoot the 80 grain projectiles you need a long throat and for the 90 grainers a really long throat (in order to get the velocities needed while keeping pressures down).

handlerer2

According to the Speer Manual a bullet fired from a 1/7 at 3500fps is doing 330,000rpm. This is more angular momentum than some varmint bullets are designed for. I have never loaded anything near 3500fps in 223, if it is even possible.