Question about transfer?

ZeroJunk

If I sell a gun on Gunbroker and ship it to the FFL choice of the buyer, can he send it back to me during the inspection period without having to send it to an FFL transfer agent here?

Lurch37

I sold a rifle on GB awhile back and the guy misread the ad and decided he didn't want the rifle. He sent it back to me, and of course it has to come back through my FFL. My memory isn't what it used to be and I can't tell you if I had to sign the papers as if I was buying a new firearm. I do know my FFL didn't charge me a fee for the transfer.

I am not an FFL holder and I sent the rifle myself through the USPS. I sent the rifle to the buyers FFL holder. I'm no expert, but I am pretty sure the firearm needs to come back through an FFL holder.

CraigC

It depends. If the receiving FFL actually transfers the firearm to its new owner and THEN he decides to send it back, it must go through an FFL on your end to be transferred back to you. If the new owner refuses receipt before it is transferred, it can be shipped directly back to you as you are still the firearm's owner. At that point it is no different from receiving your gun back from a gunsmith or manufacturer for repair.

Hawg

Craig is right. If he has it transferred on his end and then sends it back you'll have to pay to have it transferred back. Of course if he has it transferred and then decides he doesn't really want it he may decide to keep it instead of paying a transfer fee and then paying shipping back to you. That's money he's out if he does.