Question about threading a barrel.

Lurch37

So I'm a month into waiting for my first suppressor and I got to talking to my local, (non NFA) dealer about threading a Ruger MKIII barrel. He said he had done a couple and then was told by somebody with a badge that he maybe shouldn't be doing that. He thought that by having the papers from the owner of the suppresor was good enough to thread the barrel, but was told no.

I was just confused as to why he can't. Any thoughts?

James K

Member In Memoriam
I have heard the same thing, but have never seen anything from BATFE that says a gunsmith can't thread a barrel for a "thing" (brake, suppressor or whatever). The suppressor itself is the controlled item, so threading is not
manufacturing an NFA firearm as, say drilling a receiver for a FA sear would be. Let me check with a local Class III dealer and manufacturer and see what his take is.

If in doubt, write BATFE and ask. Write, do not e-mail or phone, to HQ in Washington, not to a field office. This sounds like one of those questions that each BATFE agent has a different answer for. The letter will be the straight scoop and any agent has to accept whatever it says.

Jim

Zak Smith

+1.

Outside of any funny state laws (that I don't think NE has), there are no restrictions on threading the muzzle of a pistol.

hknut

You can buy pre threaded barrels from a number of places with out have the can paperwork. Unless this is a VERY new law, that no one has heard of yet???? :confused:

James K

Member In Memoriam
As I said I would, I checked with a local Class III manufacturer. He knows of no law, rule, or regulation regarding anyone threading barrels for whatever reason, and he has done several. People don't mention what they want the threads for and he assumes it is for a legal muzzle brake.

I do have to add that it would take a real idiot to tell a gunsmith or anyone else that he wants the barrel threaded so he can make and install an illegal suppressor. And if a gunsmith were told that, he might inform BATFE; if he did not, he would be an accessory to a federal felony.

Jim

Lurch37

Interesting thoughts...

I liked the part about the gunsmith being an idiot. Please save that for some other forum. It would have been just fine to post that there is no legal violation in the threading of a barrel and leave it at that.

Also, the guy with the badge was not a local authority.

With that out of the way, I thank you for your opinions.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, Zak,

Yes, I know, but had I said a Class 2 SOT, I would have been told that it should be Class 3.

Jim