Question About The CZ 455 American

Joe_Pike

I was looking at one in a LGS this afternoon and was told it was the combo package - .22lr/.22WMR barrels. I was kind of hoping it was the other combo - .22lr/.17HMR. Anyway, can the .17HMR barrel be used with this set-up if a guy picked one up? If this is a silly question, I apologize. I have always been more of a handgun guy.

FALPhil

The silly questions are the ones that are unasked.

The answer to yours is YES.

I would recommend getting a high quality torque screwdriver to facilitate swapping barrels.

Here is one that I have shot. It is an American.
CZ455.jpg

Pahoo

Some days you just can't please anyone !!!

If this is a silly question, I apologize.
Not silly and glad you brought it up as I too have been looking into these. Saw one that was a real beauty, two weeks ago and when I asked the dealer what the diference was from the 452, he did not have a clue. Later I found out what it was. This one was the - .22lr/.17HMR and I'm more interested in the 22lr/.22WMR barrels. ...... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

Joe_Pike

After a little more poking around I read that if you, say, add the .17HMR barrel to the .22lr/.22WMR combo, you should have a smith initially do the fitting of the new .17HMR barrel.

Pahoo

if you, say, add the .17HMR barrel to the .22lr/.22WMR combo,
No sir, I'm saying that the choice I found was the .22lr/.17HMR and I prefered the .22lr/.22WMR combo. I Did make it confusing. I'll be taking a second look next week. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!

Sir Loads-A-Lot

I have an American 455 with all three barrels. I bought the .22lr and then purchased the two .17's afterwards. They all fit the receiver perfectly with no gunsmithing needed. I do recommend a torque driver to set the two barrel lugs and make sure that you loosen the magazine screws before installing them.

Picher

I found a nicely-figured, slightly used one in .22 WMR and decided to not get the other barrels because I have other .22 LRs and don't want to shoot the .17.

If I had more than one barrel, I'd consider having a different scope to be used for each barrel, sighted-in to best match the trajectory of the cartridge. That way, it's more likely that a person wouldn't need to sight in the rifle each time the barrel is swapped. (Label each scope, to keep them straight.)

The rifle is nice, but mine needed to have a few "tweaks" to shoot 1" groups at 100 yards. It's finicky on ammo choice also, preferring CCI V-Max, 30 grain rounds. A few other brands/types shot well, but nowhere near the same POI.

Last edited:

Sir Loads-A-Lot

Picher...
I agree. The one thing I tried was after each barrel change I counted the clicks on the scope adjustment between the .22 and the .17's. It gets you pretty close but still needs finer adjustment to be dead zero.
I did have a Mauser 660 that had 3 interchangeable barrels but each scope was attached to the barrels. All calibers were uncannily accurate after each barrel change.