Question about the Browning 270

FireForged

I saw a Browning 270 semi auto(bi-pod) in a store today. I was wondering if this is a good target/hunting rifle? I have never owned any Browning Rifles or for that matter a 270cal. Does a 270 kick more than a 30/30 or is it less? Thanks!

[This message has been edited by FireForged (edited January 17, 2000).]

Hueco

I have heard only good about Browning, though I do not own one myself. Here are some numbers for ya to look at.

Gun weight of 8 pounds

.30-30 Winchester, 170 grain bullet, 2200fps -- 9.1 ft-lbs of free energy recoil

.270 Winchester, 100 grain bullet, 3480fps -- 18.2 ft-lbs of free energy recoil

.270 Winchester, 130 grain bullet, 3110fps -- 21.3 ft-lbs of free energy recoil

Hope that helps you!

Hueco

muleshoe

The .270 is an excellent round for hunting, on animals up to elk size it is more than sufficient. My dear old dad bought me my first centerfire rifle when I was 15, it was a 700ADL in a .270. My friends and I spent many a day out shooting prairie dogs at some quite long distances. As far as accuracy, you won't find many BR guys using it, but it is plenty accurate for hunting. You should be able to hit an apple at 250 to 300 yds consistantly, if your into apple shootin. :) You will find the .270 deals out punishment on both ends, however, the semi-auto action should relieve some of that. I too have heard only good about Browning, but don't own one. Wish I did. Still shoot a .270 though.

[This message has been edited by muleshoe (edited January 17, 2000).]

bergie

The .270 is a great round (my choice for deer hunting in a Savage 110), and the Browning is a very nice rifle. A buddy has one in 7mm Mag and it is a pretty good shooter. Yeah, as the others pointed out the .270 does have more recoil than a .30-30, but the action does "absorb" some of it.
To compare bullets of the same weight, the .30-30 will push a 150 grain at about 2390fps for 1900 ft/lbs of energy, the .270 with a 150 grain bullet will do around 2850 fps for 2705 ft/lbs. That's only 460 fps faster but it is 800 ft/lbs more energy. Also comparing the .270 to the 30-30 as far as trajectory, the 30-30 will drop much more than the .270. That is the real advantage, you can use a "point-blank" sighting in method that will keep you within +/- 3" out close to 300 yds. With a 30-30 zeroed at 200 yds, you are +3 1/2" at 100yds, and -16" at 300.
Bergie

Bill Hebert

Hey Hueco, where did you find the figures for
"free energy recoil" or do you have the formula to figure it from the velocity #'s?
Please post if you would...Thanks, Bill
As for "liking" Brownings - there's no such thing...Shoot a Browning and most people use the term "love."

muleshoe

Congrats, I'll bet your the envy of all the kids on the block. This block anyway. Now what are you gonna top it with? A rifle can only be as good as it's sighting.

------------------
bullet placement is gun control