Question about stocks

Sam Harrison

I'm in the process of restoring an old Arisaka Type 99 rifle and since the stock is broken and I haven't bought a new one yet, I have some questions about it.
I've read that a good Arisaka is a highly accurate rifle. Mine's bore looks great, so I'm hoping this is true for it.
Since I've had difficulty finding a good original stock for it, I'm considering buying some sort of modern made sport stock instead.

- Are there any advantages, accuracy wise, over using one of these sporter stocks instead of a military-style one? I imagine the extra wood touching the barrel is not the best thing in the world for someone looking for the most accuracy.

I want to make this into a good deer/coyote rifle (I only hunt occasionally and mostly just target shoot) but don't want to make any permanent modifications to the metal or anything, just buy a new stock since I need to anyway.

I'm looking at this website here, since they have stocks fitted for Arisakas:
http://www.rifle-stocks.com/sporter_hunting_styles.htm

Anyone bought anything from there before? What style might I want to use?

KEN K

I've had two 99s and they both shot realy good, after the first one was stolen I had to get another so I got one for less than 100 bucks that had a chopped up stock and built my oun out of a nice piece of walnut. I did quite a bit of work on it, but when I got finished it looks great. I removed the sights, cut about 3 inches off the barrle, mounted a scope, bedded the barrle, reworked the bolt to clear the scope and re-blued it. I know it's not for everybody but I'm a retired cabinet maker and like to make things out of wood. It took a lot longer to do the checkering on the stock than in did to build it.
Ive taken a number of deer out to 200 yds. and a buffalo last fall at 125 yds. and but a round in it's brain, so the gun shoots great. You might want to consider reloading, Norma's prices are out of sight. You can reload 8MM Mauser brass with just resizeing the neck. A Lee hand loader loader can get you going fairly cheap if you are only loading for hunting and a little plinking, not doing 100's of rounds.

Attachments

• Kens Prodjects 020.jpg
    Kens Prodjects 020.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 19

James K

Member In Memoriam
There is nothing wrong with the Arisaka rifles (Type 38 or Type 99) accuracy-wise. The main problems with using one as a base for a sporting rifle are the split bridge, which usually means use of a side mount for a scope, and the cock on closing action. Some Type 99's are rough, but most Type 38's are OK and some are equal in workmanship to the best Mauser ever made. The safety can take getting used to, but I think replacement triggers with their own safety are still available.

Jim

Sam Harrison

Thank you all for the information... I have located an original replacement stock so I'm going to go with that. I may try to find some kind of a scope mounting system later on.

Ken - I have friend with a mauser saving me his 8mm brass... I don't have the equipment to reload yet but I don't think I will need to reload more than 20 or so bullets at a time so I will look into what you suggested. You've got a nice stock there. It's a handy thing to have woodworking skills!