Question about Somethind I Was Told (Magazine related)

Waspinator

Hi,

I'm going to go to the range this weekend to test out my new gun (first semi). I was talking to my co-worker today, who has been shooting longer then I've been alive, and he told me something I never heard before. I wanted to get the forum members opinions...

He said that when he gets a new semi-auto, he first marks the magazines so he can keep track of them. He then only loads the magazines half way and runs the magazines through the gun like this several times. Then , if there was no malfunctions, he loads them to full capacity and runs them through the gun.

He said that sometimes new magazines that are fully loaded can bind and cause malfunctions. He said that it would be less likely to happen with a half loaded magazine. He does this so he can ascertain if there is any malfunctions with the gun itself, or with the magazine. And if it is the magazine, by marking it, he knows which is the problem. If there are no malfunctions of any kind, then he continues loading fully.

I never heard of this and was wondering if this makes any sense? (this is my first semi, so I honestly don't know).

Uncle Malice

Marking the magazines, yes.

Never had a reason to not load to capacity... although at the range, I usually only load 10 rounds(if possible) regardless of capacity. Easier to load for range duty and allows more magazine changes to build muscle memory.

Marking mags does allow you to keep a better eye on what mags might be causing problems.

jmr40

True, but just to add. Some magazines have VERY stiff springs when new and it is almost impossible to fully load them at first. I've loaded some about 2/3 full and let them set for a few days before loading 1-2 more rounds each day until I was able to fully load them easily.

After a little break-in they get to the point where they load to full capacity with ease. This might be the point your friend was trying to make. I've never had a new magazine fail when fully loaded. Just some that were hard to fully load at first.

LockedBreech

I always load to capacity, excepting my two Mec-Car Optimum magazines for my Beretta 92. They hold 18, but I could only get 17, so I left them loaded for two days, then the 18th went without a problem.

Pahoo

I do ??? !!!

Don't know the motivation but I have always marked my working magazines.
I routinely rotate them in use, usually no two and sometimes three.
When I have to use a new one, I check it our and mark it as well. ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

RickB

I would number the mags.
A new semi-auto that has never been fired might - might - have an issue that could cause it to double, or even "run away" in full-auto. While a new gun should have been test-fired before shipping, some people will initially load the mag with a single round and test-fire; did the gun fire? Did the case eject? Did the slide lock back? If it works properly, load two rounds; fire, eject, feed? Fire; eject, lock?
It's not as much a test of the magazines, as it is a test of the gun's mechanism.
I have performed tests like this any time I work on a gun's internals, such as changing springs, or installing a new part, and doing the same for a new gun isn't a bad idea.
I'd load all the mags to capacity, and see if they lock in the gun with the slide forward (which requires compressing the rounds in the mag an additional 1/8" - 1/4" from the static loaded condition). If you can get the number of rounds into the mag(s) that the manufacturer claims you should, and the mags lock in the gun, then I'd say the mags are good to go, until or unless using them reveals a problem.

Theohazard

I'm with everyone else: Marking them is a good idea (I number all my mags), but there's absolutely no reason to half-load them; in my experience a fully loaded mag isn't any more likely to cause problems than a partially filled one (though a fully-loaded mag can be hard to load into some guns when the slide/bolt is forward, but that's a different issue).

Besides, if he is actually correct that a fully-loaded mag is more likely to malfunction (again, I haven't found this to be the case) then I would want to purposefully load the mags to the brim to see which ones bind up. Then I'd get rid of those mags.

lee n. field

I'm going to go to the range this weekend to test out my new gun (first semi). I was talking to my co-worker today, who has been shooting longer then I've been alive, and he told me something I never heard before. I wanted to get the forum members opinions...

He said that when he gets a new semi-auto, he first marks the magazines so he can keep track of them.

That part makes sense.

He then only loads the magazines half way and runs the magazines through the gun like this several times. Then , if there was no malfunctions, he loads them to full capacity and runs them through the gun.

He said that sometimes new magazines that are fully loaded can bind and cause malfunctions.

I've never seen this, myself, nor heard of it.

Waspinator

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. So, I will , for sure, mark my magazines as that makes sense to me.

Some magazines have VERY stiff springs when new and it is almost impossible to fully load them at first.

I loaded the magazines a bit ago after reading your post .. and you are NOT kidding. I have two, compact, double stack 9mm 10-round magazines (Max allowed in CT :mad: ). They were so stiff that my thumb was sore after just loading the two. I figured I would leave them like that until Saturday or Sunday, when I go to the range, to maybe relax them a bit? sound like a plan?

Meanwhile.. I looked on YouTube and seen a Butler Creek LULA magazine loader that looked pretty sweet. I had to put an order in on Amazon , so I threw it into the cart as well.. hope that alleviates my thumb some :eek:

Theohazard

Waspinator said:
I have two, compact, double stack 9mm 10-round magazines (Max allowed in CT ).
Here's another thing to think about: With some manufacturers (Glock comes to mind), their artificially-limited 10-round mags don't work as well as their normal-capacity mags do. That's yet another reason magazine capacity bans stink so much!

Mike38

All of my magazines are numbered. I do it as soon as they come out of the package. This way you can identify problematic mags, and either repair or replace them. As for half loading new mags, I don’t do that, but the reasoning behind it does make sense on a new pistol.

jmhyer

Ditto much of what has been Sao. Mark mags so that if one seems to be problematic, you will be able to distinguish it from others that function well. The Maglula is awesome...a must have. I load all new mags to capacity and let them sit for a day or two...or more...to compress the initially stiff springs. Then, once I actually take them to the range the first time, they are already "broken in". Seems to have always worked well for me.

BigJimP

I clean and lube a new gun before I fire it ( and I take the mags apart - and clean them as well - but I don't lube them ).

I'm always surprised how much junk there is in there...from the mfg's process or mags laying around the warehouse, or whatever...before they're packaged up.

hemiram

I number mine, with a marker, it's almost invisible but holds up pretty well. If it gets rubbed off, I just remark it. I don't do anything else special, I just take the mags, load them up all the way and shoot. I haven't had a bad mag in a long time, the last one was a few years ago, when a Meg-Car Witness mag decided to jam up inside. The follower was kind of rough with a lot of flashing on it. A couple of minutes with my pocket knife and a nailfile solved the issue.

Old Stony

Jeeze ....just load them up and go shooting. A guy can get as anal as they want over stuff like this and you have to set your own standards. I load them up and shoot them...if they don't work right, I throw them away..problem solved.

Homerboy

If you are gonna mark them, use something non-permanent. I buy the little colored circle stickers from the arts and craft section of Walmart and stick them on the baseplate of the mag and then write the number on there. You can always peel the sticker off. I buy used mags when I see them at a good price, but I would not buy one with a number etched into them or marked with permanent marker.

ClydeFrog

Labels, floor-plates, cleaning....

I've never heard any "sage advice" like that. ;)
I have known shooters & a few military service members who advise not fully loading semi auto springs to avoid problems later on.
This practice isn't a bad idea but with most modern era firearms, not really required. Some new semi auto weapons need a "break in" period. My new M&P .45acp pistol could not fully load the mags until I shot a few hundred .45acp 230gr FMJ rounds. The springs started to work correctly & now it's no longer a issue.
Cleaning & service(CLP or light oil) isn't bad for most firearm magazines. I heard from a few armorers & gun owners not to take apart/clean pistol magazines but in nearly 25 years, I've never had any major problems with it.
I would say not to use excessive amounts of CLP(FrogLube, Weaponshield, LPX, Ballistol, etc) but don't be afraid to tear them down & scrub all the carbon, sand, grit off. I often spray the metal magazine springs too or wipe a bit of CLP on them before I put them together.
Finally, to use labels or mark the floor-plates isn't bad. Some retailers like www.tangodown.com & www.glockstore.com sell after-market floor plates for Glock pistols. If you carry different rounds or want to carry/shoot different calibers in the same model that's handy(and safe :D ).

Spats McGee

Administrator
I mark magazines for rotation and to identify the problem children. Load them halfway? Never tried it, unless you count times that I only had a half of a mag's worth of ammo left in a box at the range.