Question about price for a slightly used Para-Ordnance

brentfoto

Was wondering what one should expect to pay in a private sale of an all steel blued Para P13-45 in excellent condition (approximate 98% cosmetic-only a few minor scratches), with two 13-rd rebuild kits and one 10-rd magazine. Probably less than 250 rounds through it. According to Para CS, gun was manufactured 02/94, sale would be in southern California.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
A bout three years ago (maybe four) I paid $600 for an early, black Para from the used guns counter at a large-ish gun shop. I thought that was a bit high back then but I wanted the gun and they wouldn't drop the price, so I caved in.

Today I'd say $600 to $650 is abut right.

ripnbst

I've had bad luck with para but it was a single stack model with LDA trigger. Quite a different animal than what you are looking at.

I'd agree that $600ish is about right. Id throw $550 out there and see if the seller will bite. Anything higher than $650 forget it, save a little more and get a used STI 2011. The STI 2011 would be my preference over the Para given my experiences with both Mfg's anyway.

FWIW, I would cheerfully pay $50 to $100 more for an early to mid-90s Para than I would for any of the newer ones. The ones made just before and immediately after the move from Canada to North Carolina should be avoided at all costs. Current production are good guns but ... IMHO ... ugly as sin (except the GI Expert series).

Old Stony

What would I expect for a pistol with a 13 rd. mag in southern Ca. ?
.......Probation if I was lucky, jail time if I wasn't lucky.

brentfoto

Old Stony-Do you have anything to contribute to the inquiry in this thread? AFAIK, rebuild kit is, at this time, legal in CA. That is apparently going to change in 2014, but isn't the subject of inquiry.

Last edited:

brentfoto

Aguila Blanca quote: FWIW, I would cheerfully pay $50 to $100 more for an early to mid-90s Para than I would for any of the newer ones. The ones made just before and immediately after the move from Canada to North Carolina should be avoided at all costs. Current production are good guns but ... IMHO ... ugly as sin (except the GI Expert series).

Updated: DOM is apparently February of 1994. Apparently moved from Canada to NC in 2009. Thank you for your opinions.

Last edited:

mes228

Para

Don't know specifically about the P14. However, I've shot the Para 14.45 extensively and it is a fine, accurate, reliable pistol. Heavy as all get out due to all steel and capacity. I do like them. Don't know the going price but suspect approx. $1,000 for the 14.45 in excellent condition.

Skans

Initially I thought $650 was a bit low - these weren't bad guns. But, I looked on Gunbroker and I see that they are listing between $525 - $800; with no one bidding on any of them. No one wants the double-stacked Para-Ordnances I suppose.

brentfoto

Quote from mes228:

Don't know the going price but suspect approx. $1,000 for the 14.45 in excellent condition.

Not subject of thread, but FYI Cheaper Than Dirt has Expert 14-45 NEW for about $775-$800. Buds has them starting at only $729!

Last edited:

brentfoto

Quote from Skans:

Initially I thought $650 was a bit low - these weren't bad guns. But, I looked on Gunbroker and I see that they are listing between $525 - $800; with no one bidding on any of them. No one wants the double-stacked Para-Ordnances I suppose.

Yes, I noticed them on Gunbroker also. At the time I checked a day or two ago, three were listed with no bids at those prices. That is discouraging.

The 13-45 reminds me somewhat similar to Colt Commander in appearance.

It is slim, double-stacked mags due to capacity. I wonder if the 10-rd Mec-Gar mags are double-stacked.

Was told 13-45 would've been classified under the Expert category of Para's present offerings.

Last edited:
Brentfoto said:
The 13-45 reminds me somewhat similar to Colt Commander in appearance.

It is slim, double-stacked mags due to capacity. I wonder if the 10-rd Mec-Gar mags are double-stacked.

Was told 13-45 would've been classified under the Expert category of their present offerings, and a cross between the Expert 14-45 for the steel frame and Expert Commander for length of barrel.
At the time that pistol was manufactured, Para named their guns so you could tell the capacity and the caliber immediately. These days, they use a bunch of names that require translation.

In the old system, the P14.45 was the full-size (5") pistol, with a double stack magazine holding 14 rounds.

The P13.45 was a Commander-size pistol with a 4-1/4" barrel, a slightly shorter grip frame than the P14.45, and a double stack magazine holding 13 rounds.

The P12.45 was a double stack version of the Colt Officers ACP (right down to the style of the barrel bushing and recoil spring plug), with a 3-1/2" barrel and a double stack magazine holding 12 rounds. Grip was another notch shorter than the P13.45.

All of those models were also available with 10-round magazines during the federal AWB decade from 1994 through 2004. The reduced capacity mags were double stack, with a shorter steel tube and a plastic filler/base that made up the extra length. The tubes were all the same, only the length of the filler/spacer varied to match the pistol.

The P10.45 came along a few years later and would be roughly analagous to the Colt Defender. It had a very short grip frame and a 3" barrel, with the magazine capacity ten rounds with no spacers/fillers/adapters -- that's all they would hold. The old P10.45 is today's Warthog.

The pistol you are looking at is very similar to the current GI Expert line of pistols, except that a '94 Para will have a ramped barrel, whereas the GI Expert series uses conventional 1911-style barrels.

Last edited:

shortwave

One in 98% condition would probably be priced in the $600-$650 range in this neck of the woods.

And a mfg. date of 1994 should make it a good one.

mes228

PARA

Oops! I apologize for being off topic on the value of the P series Para's. In earlier post I guessed the PARA 14.45 (a comparative pistol) would sell for about 1k. I was speaking of mine, I also have 12 mags for it. At a conservative $30 a mag that's $360 worth of mags. So the pistol is approx. $700-$800. At that price the 14.45's are a great bargain. The double action feature on mine works well and the pistol has performed great, and is quite accurate.

brentfoto

Aguila Blanca-

Thank you for your recent and most informative post, above. Seems like you're quite familiar with the Para line.

Rinspeed

I would look for something other than Para. They have never been known for using high quality parts. Not sure if they still do it but at one point some twit in the company actually thought it would be a brilliant cost saving idea to use a cast extractor. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings who owns a Para but there are much better choices out there.

bricz75

A 90's Para is a better choice than a new one. They were definitely made better then. Things went south after one of the company's founder passed on.

Rinspeed said:
I would look for something other than Para. They have never been known for using high quality parts. Not sure if they still do it but at one point some twit in the company actually thought it would be a brilliant cost saving idea to use a cast extractor. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings who owns a Para but there are much better choices out there.
Para-Ordnance or ParaUSA, they have never used a cast extractor. These days, they use tool steel extractors made for them by EGW in Pennsylvania.