Question about pre-ban upper

Scorch

I have a customer who wants a flat-top upper for his Colt SP1. Who makes and sells one? I have seen the Del-Ton upper assemblies, but he just wants the upper receiver and switch out the barrel and parts from his other upper.

Mobuck

ANY UPPER will fit. I question the logic of destroying a true Colt SP1 for this project. Once it's taken apart, it's just another Bubba rifle. There are plenty of current flat top upper available that will perform as well(or better) than the original Colt barrel re-assembled onto a flat top upper.

Fishbed77

I question the logic of destroying a true Colt SP1 for this project.

I agree. Considering how cheap AR parts and kits have become these days, he'd be much better off financially by perusing PSA's website.

Ibmikey

Not all upper's may fit, Colt used different pin sizes at one time and required the use of an offset pivot pin, so check before buying.

Mobuck

"Not all upper's may fit, Colt used different pin sizes at one time and required the use of an offset pivot pin, so check before buying"
Yes, any upper will fit as far as reassembling the upper to flat top configuration. At that point, the use of an offset pin is inconsequential. Finding a COLT flat top upper with the big pin would be both difficult and expensive.

Scorch

Not all upper's may fit, Colt used different pin sizes at one time and required the use of an offset pivot pin, so check before buying.
Yes, I thought that was the case, that was why I was asking.
I question the logic of destroying a true Colt SP1 for this project. Once it's taken apart, it's just another Bubba rifle.
I agree somewhat, but I try not to tell my customers not to do what they have already decided to do unless I can give them a solid reason why not.
There are plenty of current flat top upper available that will perform as well(or better) than the original Colt barrel re-assembled onto a flat top upper.
Excellent point. I remember that the original Colt barrels were pretty much worthless for any kind of accuracy. I will bring this point up.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Powderman

Scorch, here's a good reason for him...

A good condition original SP1 runs around $2500 to $3000.

If he buys a few pieces at a time, he can put his AR15 together for around $600, with bare-bones components.