Question about my Beretta 1951

GaryED50

Functionally its flawless but most of the finish is gone and a small bit of rust. I've checked with some gunsmiths and I can get a Cerakote for about $85 not sure if its worth it. what do you guys think?
IMG-0010.png

10-96

With the original finish being toast, there won't be any of us alive long enough to see any great collector value. That's just kind of the way it is with non-iconic or super rare firearms. If it were mine, I'd go ahead with the cerakote.

10-96

Sorry, I can't edit while on a .gov computer. I should have said "a firearm that's not super rare".

Nodak1858

I think the old guns look odd with the epoxy paint finish. I vote like jar said, clean it up and cold blue the small rust spot. Or check into Mark Lee Express rust blue. Its faster than slow rust blue and it leaves a nice look. I did a CZ82 with it, the paint finish was toast. I didn't even disassemble the lower frame, the springs are a nightmare. I rust blued it, boiled, then carded it and flushed it out with WD40 to get any water out. Looks good, not like a really shiny hot blue but a nice dark color.

Metric

I wouldn't do a cold blue. But Mark Lee Express Blue is perfect for such a project -- will look like a new gun.

Jim Watson

If I had bought one, it would be because it was cheap surplus and I did not expect it to look real nice. $85 to Cerakote a $280 gun? Not me.

Metric

For the aluminum frame, you may be stuck with Birchwood "aluminum black," or else some kind of paint. Aluminum-black will improve things a bit, but it will depend on how badly the finish is torn up. And it's not particularly durable.

If you go with rust blue for the steel parts and aluminum black for the frame, I suspect you'll have something that looks quite nice, and it will be a fun little project that requires almost no specialized equipment.

If the frame is very badly beaten up, so that aluminum-black just won't cut it, one possibility is to spray the frame with brownell's aluma-hyde. It's another paint and presumably not as durable as cerakote, but one can is about $25, and I guess you can always touch it up.

Bill DeShivs

Why do people think old guns should look new?
Then, they try to do some substandard treatment like paint or cold blue and end up with a gun that looks worse than when they started.
I would leave it alone- and I can properly refinish my own guns.

HighValleyRanch

I didn't mean the Beretta was Zinc.
I have an old Iver Johnson TP22 and the slide is zinc, so as everyone was suggesting ways to blacken alloy or steel, I posed that question to see if someone knew.

highpower3006

Because I like my stuff to look as nice as possible, I would be tempted to refinish the entire pistol.

Usually though, I procrastinate long enough, so get used to the look and wind up leaving it alone.

Pumpkin

I would leave it alone many times before I would cold blue it.
It's a nice old Beretta, use a penny and some oil on the rusty spots and give it a good cleaning and oiling.