Question about Martini rifles

44 AMP

Staff
I need an answer about the Martini rifles.

There is a lever on the side of the action that shows if the gun is cocked, or not, and it changes position when the cocked gun is fired.

My question is, is this lever just an indicator, or can the rifle be cocked with it?
(allowing a second strike without opening the action?)

Thanks.

ligonierbill

Sample of one, no. My 1884 version cannot be cocked with that little tab. But there are many variations, and I'm no expert.

darkgael

If you take the action apart….quite simple to do with the Martinis…..you will see that the indicator is purely a pin in effect.
Marvelously clear video on You Tube showing disassembly and reassembly. Search for “martini henry action strip”
Pete

https://youtu.be/JrJXvxmU4vY

Last edited:

Seedy Character

I always the little Martini rifles attractive and fascinating.

The side lever was listed, mentioned as an "indicator". I, too, wondered about actual function.

I have never owned or fired a Martini, though.
Maybe one day, after I win the lottery.

Jim Watson

Cocking indicators are fairly common on various guns of that era.
Folks wanted something to show status when the big obvious hammers were gone.

natman

The cocking indicator is linked directly to the sear. It might be theoretically possible to rotate the cocking indicator backwards and re-cock the rifle. HOWEVER, as a practical matter it would be a bad idea to attempt to do so.

The indicator offers neither the required leverage nor the traction to control the effort. Compare the length of the action lever and the amount of effort required to compress the firing pin spring. Trying to generate that much torque via the cocking indicator would require several times more force due to its much shorter length, all applied at the tiny tip of the indicator.

A slip could cause the cartridge to discharge during the process. So don't try it.