Question about Marlin 336 scope bases

Molly

Have you ever used the weaver 2-pc bases for this gun? My question is, are the bottoms of the based perfectly flat? I need to know because I'm thinking of using these on different rifle, one that has a perfectly flat top on it's reciever.

Thanks.

MeekAndMild

Flatness won't assure compatibility because the screw holes might be a different distance apart or a different size screw or there might ba a different slope toward the barrel. :mad:

Go to the Weaver site and from the home page on the right side below the picture there is a link to a "reference chart for part number" page. Go to the reference table and look up the number mount for the 336 then for the other rifle.

If all the holes and angles and everything else are compatible they will have the same part number. Otherwise the part numbers will be different.

For instance the Marlin 336 see through rings part number is 49713 but the Winchester 94 angle eject see through rings part number is 49716. So they are not compatible. :(

Molly

I plan on drilling the receiver to match the holes on whatever weaver bases I can find that are perfectly flat on the bottom. Actually, I would rather have Leupold or Redfield bases with dove-tailed rings. I know that they make gunsmith bases that are flat but they are also 2-4 times as much $ as ready made bases.

Thanks

MeekAndMild

Well predrilled holes is one thing but drilling them yourself is another.

My 336 has what looks like an 'almost' flat top as opposed to a 'perfectly' flat top. Now that you mention it the rings it has had for many years do appear to have a tiny gap along the sides for just a short distance. :eek:

I guess I'll have to tell all those deer they can get out of the freezer and leave, 'cause it wasn't as precise as I thought it was. :rolleyes:

Molly

I found the answer I was looking for thanks. The bases I found for the 336 are indeed flat, and will work for what I need. Thanks for the replies.