Question about MAGPUL MBUS sights

IM_Lugger

I ordered a set of MBUS sights online and just got it today. One thing I noticed that stuck me funny was that on the bottom and side of the package it says "for Training and Simulation use" Are they all like that or do they also have a real or 'combat' version or something like that?

whats the differece??

looks like this (pic from internet)
rifles%20032.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

jackblack73

There's a cheaper PTS version which is made for things like airsoft. You might be ok, but personally I wouldn't have knowingly bought them.

5RWill

I was about to say, magpul also makes airsoft guns and accessories which is weird IMO. That being said I own the rear MBUIS and I like it, but I could see where a front could fail sitting on or next to the gas block on certain rifles

tAKticool

They're not "supposed" to be on a gas block for the melt down risk, but yeah, you got the Airsoft version. Most likely all you did was save a bunch of money and will have absolutely no problems whatsoever, good on ya.

durian

This brings up a good point - has anyone tested PTS MBUS on real guns?

BTW my MBUS sights came in a box with the same orange-ish color but brown instead of white.

Technosavant

I'm sure somebody over at ARFcom has tried them, but even Magpul will tell you that the PTS ones aren't meant for a real rifle.

Palmetto-Pride

Let me get this straight they are back up sights, but they cant really be used for back up because they might melt on the gas block........:confused:

Technosavant

Let me get this straight they are back up sights, but they cant really be used for back up because they might melt on the gas block.

What do you expect? They're plastic. Plastic melts at relatively low temperatures. The front sight is meant for a handguard mount, not a gas block mount. Even Magpul will say that the MBUS is a budget backup sight. They aren't meant to be feature- compatible with Troy or even MI. They're meant to give a nicely priced option to people who may not see the point in a $200+ sight set. Within that purview, they're just fine and they do the job nicely. But if you want a high end product, you won't get them without paying the high end price.

And yes, you can easily make the argument that if you can afford a decent free float handguard, the added cost of quality metal sights likely isn't that big a deal, but one can also make the point that if you manage to trash your quality optic (say, Aimpoint), then the rifle or shooter likely didn't survive either.

jackblack73

Yeah, what a silly criticism. Just because it can't be used in one application, on a gas block, doesn't mean it's not a well designed part. In fact, I rarely see back up sights mounted on gas blocks. Usually a full length handguard covers the gas block and the sight is mounted on the handguard. Or, like my rifle, there's a front sight base and only a rear sight is needed.

Technosavant

There's a bunch of "optics ready" rifles floating around out there with railed gas blocks, flat top uppers, and no sights (but with a standard handguard), and I think it's owners of those who are often tempted to use MBUS due to the price, but I think that's because they don't understand what BUIS are really for- not for normal use, but for backup. Sure, they'll work fine, but if you plan to use them as your primary sighting system you will likely end up disappointed.

I just think that many people don't appreciate the true nature of the MBUS, and that may be due to the expectation of every company believing that their products are the end-all be-all best. This is not the case, Magpul knows full well what they're selling- backup sights that are serviceable and low cost but not "just as good as" the rather more expensive higher end metal BUIS. They're for the folks who just can't afford or justify $200-300 worth of sights when they've already dropped $500 on an optic. $80, however, might be worthwhile for insurance.

kenno

I carry a spare optic, 13 oz (sue me). MBUS is a savvy marketing tool but if you NEED fancy iron sights to hit the, apparently immobile target, then the target is far enough a way that you can switch to a different optic on a PIC rail clamp mount and if your alone against a trained sniper and in the open with no cover,,,solloy Charlly, you'll never look through those $200 MBUSes.
CQB you'll R and R from his feet to his sternum in .5 seconds like a wing shooter, no need for sights of any kind.
the POU is totally bankrupt but they do look TAACTICOOL:cool:

Palmetto-Pride

What do you expect? They're plastic. Plastic melts at relatively low temperatures. The front sight is meant for a handguard mount, not a gas block mount.

You are right. When I wrote that I was thinking you couldn't even mount them on a hand guard without worrying about them melting....but they should work fine for there intended purpose.