Question about Lyman Universal Case Trimmer

bigarm

I was setting up to reload for 30-30 today. I had some once fired brass. I had a Lyman Universal Trimmer that I had not used before. As per directions I sized and decapped the brass. I then tried to set up the trimmer to trim the brass. I had a horrible time. Could not get the brass in deep enough to trim. Finally out of desperation, I changed the pilot to the 28 instead of the 30 so the brass would go far enough on the pilot to trim. It worked, but my question is what am I doing wrong?

Panfisher

I had the same problem with my Lyman and used to use a size smaller pilot also. Now I don't even use a pilot just rtrim them without it.

math teacher

I had problems with the pilot pulling out of the Lyman trimmer, so I ground a notch in the side of each pilot shaft to allow the set screw to get a purchase on the shaft. End of problem. I also ground off the handle and turned down the last half inch of the trimmer's shaft to a quarter inch diameter. Now I use an electric drill to turn it into a power trimmer. For cases that are not crimped, I trim before sizing. Not recommended for bench rest accuracy.

wogpotter

I had problems with the pilot pulling out of the Lyman trimmer,
I find that's usually cured by reducing pressure towards the chuck when trimming. If I get all medieval with the handle I have the same problem. Its caused by burring the brass.

rg1

Had to sand down a couple pilots in my Lyman set. Put the pilot in a drill and took a little off with a smooth file then polished with sandpaper. Actually removed a couple thousandths. It was just too tight is some necks.