question about how this works: Removing the stock on (say a .22LR) rifle?

tAKticool

Hi I am not looking to start or cause trouble here just learn a little, and I know there is a lot of info and smart people here.

How does it work if you wanted to remove the stock on say a (.22LR?) rifle? I am thinking that you can't have the Barrel too short, or its a short barreled rifle (with a stock) and you can't have a foregrip say on a stock-less rifle.

If you simply remove the stock (Lets say you just up and cut it off) on a 15-22 looking to make a 15-22 "pistol" is that cool? Or the MP5 by H&K which as that adjustable stock, could it just be ripped off?

Cool thanks for the edumacation.

pabuckslayer08

I will be the first to admit the question kinda befuzzles me, Im not sure what you mean, a stock on a rifle comes off as one piece and your left with just a action and barrel which cant be shot that way. If yout referring to making your own deal by shortening up the butt end then that can be done. Explain to me a little more what your trying to get

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Federal law says that a rifle's barrel must be at least 16" long, measured from the face of the bolt when it's closed. There is a minimum overall length, which I don't recall, offhand. 26"? Something like that. But a folding stock setup is okay, even if when folded it's below the minimum.

Anyhow, you can cut off the back end of the stock if you want. However, that mostly just makes it harder to shoot accurately. IMO, a silly thing to do.

Unistat76

I think he is talking about shortening the stock of a rifle to the point where the rifle would have a pistol grip.

I think he is asking if it is legal convert a rifle into a pistol.

emcon5

He is talking about a Federal Felony.

You can read a letter from ATF here:

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=239

The topic is converting a Thompson Center Encore rifle to a Contender (easy to do, as the frames are the same IIRC), but the end result is the same. In the eyes of ATF, it is a violation of the NFA, creating a Short Barreled Rifle.

If you want a pistol, buy a pistol.

tAKticool

Yeah I am not trying to pi$s anyone off , of course, not trying to make problem or certainly break federal laws.

I was more wondering if you could cut the stock off a S&W M&P 15-22, Sig 522, or say HKMP5 to make a pistol weapon?

roklok

It is my understanding that it would be legal to cut the stock off of a rifle as long as the barrel is at least 16 inches AND the overall length is at least 26 inches. Go below either of those numbers, and you have an illegal weapon, at least without the appropriate tax stamp. As Art Eatman stated. Not automatically a felony, just cutting the stock off.

emcon5

Read the letter from ATF I linked above.

Their view is that if the rifle was sold as a rifle, it is a rifle, full stop.

What you do with the stock is not relevant. If the barrel is shorter than 16" you are committing a felony.

natman

Their view is that if the rifle was sold as a rifle, it is a rifle, full stop.

What you do with the stock is not relevant. If the barrel is shorter than 16" you are committing a felony.

Maybe. It's OK to cut the stock off, BUT if doing so causes the overall length to be below 26", there's a problem.

roklok

Ah, Emcon, he (the OP) is not talking about cutting the barrel off, just the stock. He even specifies leaving the barrel at legal length in the original post. So to make a blanket statement and say that he is talking about a felony (as in your first post) is not correct, as long as the overall length is at least 26 inches.

I did read the link you provided, and was already fully aware of the information contained therein.

tAKticool

Let me reiterate I had no inkling intention idea or anything else about making felonies. The truth is I had wondered what would happen if I broke the plastic receiver extension on a 15-22, which is plastic, and not replaceable... Could I just make it into a "pistol" by removing the whole stock and "stock assembly" aka Buffer tube AKA receiver extension, and definitely not using a foregrip ( i thought I read somewhere that you can't use a foregrip on a pistol under any circumstances.)

So I hadn't even thought about measuring the total length, I guess if I was to get into this situation I would make sure to measure, but I can't decide what encom is talking about, i have no idea or intention to touch a barrel so im not sure if hes just being rude by mentioning the felony and the barrel or what.

(because touching the barrel never crossed my mind- let me make sure thats clear regardless I never wouldl or even thought of messing with the barrel.)

Someone else maybe could clarify? Thx

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
"The truth is I had wondered what would happen if I broke the plastic receiver extension on a 15-22, which is plastic, and not replaceable..."

Aha! At long last! :D

Somebody who's familiar with the 15-22 might answer the question, which seems to me to have more to do with operation than with legal problems. The legal issues have been more than adequately commented upon.