Question about FL law

omaha64

If I have a concealed weapon permit, do I have to go through the waiting period when purchasing a handgun?

Jkwas

No. I've purchased three since I got mine and have had no problem. All were in Broward, but I don't think that matters. :)

john in jax

No, at least not in Duval county - - and, at least the dealers I'm buying from, don't charge you for the "call-in" either.

allenomics

No waiting period if you have a permit, but you must have the instant background check done before you can take possession of the pistol/revolver. No wait at all for rifles/shotguns.

markdido

Have purchased in Orange and Brevard counties with a CCW. No wait on hand-guns.

A little known FL fact is that you do not have to wait to pick up a handgun if you have proof that you have legally purchased one before (like having a bill of sale with you)

You can do this even if you don't have a CWP

Tbag

Mark that does not apply in broward and palm beach counties. At one time that was true down here, you could actually drop one off that you owned for the shop to hold and take the new one home. Back a week later to pick up the old one.

fattsgalore

Nope. God bless America
markdido, No. I'm not arguing with you but, no. Theres a three day wait on all handguns period. Long weapons theres no wait.(shotugns; rifles)

markdido

Nope. God bless America
markdido, No. I'm not arguing with you but, no. Theres a three day wait on all handguns period. Long weapons theres no wait.(shotugns; rifles)

Probably a state issue. What state are you in?

markdido

Mark that does not apply in broward and palm beach counties. At one time that was true down here, you could actually drop one off that you owned for the shop to hold and take the new one home. Back a week later to pick up the old one.

I didn't think that local laws could preempt Florida Statutes. Let me do some more checking.

Mark

markdido

OK. Here's the 2006 (currently available on line) Florida Statutes, and apparently you can no longer present a bill-of-sale for a previously purchased hand-gun as proof. You can however, trade one on on a new one without a waiting priod.

790.0655 Purchase and delivery of handguns; mandatory waiting period; exceptions; penalties.--

(1)(a) There shall be a mandatory 3-day waiting period, which shall be 3 days, excluding weekends and legal holidays, between the purchase and the delivery at retail of any handgun. "Purchase" means the transfer of money or other valuable consideration to the retailer. "Handgun" means a firearm capable of being carried and used by one hand, such as a pistol or revolver. "Retailer" means and includes every person engaged in the business of making sales at retail or for distribution, or use, or consumption, or storage to be used or consumed in this state, as defined in s. 212.02(13).

(b) Records of handgun sales must be available for inspection by any law enforcement agency, as defined in s. 934.02, during normal business hours.

(2) The 3-day waiting period shall not apply in the following circumstances:

(a) When a handgun is being purchased by a holder of a concealed weapons permit as defined in s. 790.06.

(b) To a trade-in of another handgun.

(3) It is a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084:

(a) For any retailer, or any employee or agent of a retailer, to deliver a handgun before the expiration of the 3-day waiting period, subject to the exceptions provided in subsection (2).

(b) For a purchaser to obtain delivery of a handgun by fraud, false pretense, or false representation.

History.--s. 1, ch. 91-24; s. 3, ch. 92-183; s. 98, ch. 99-3.

Copyright © 1995-2006 The Florida Legislature • Privacy Statement • Contact Us

fattsgalore

I'm in florida, dude.
Seminole County.
But to be real, I didn't know that about the trade in. Thank you.
I wonder if the local dealeres will give me the run around with that.

tegemu

Mark, read Para (2) (a) of your post #13 above. It specifically states that the three day waiting period does NOT apply to a holder of a Florida Weapons License. I have bought at least a dozen handguns from several dealers and paid my money, passed the instant background check and walked out the door with my new gun. Total elapsed time - about 20 minutes.

candr44

I have purchased pistols and rifles all over Florida and never had a waiting period with a CCW permit. I have always had a back ground check even with a permit. The only time I didn't have a back ground check is when I used my 03 FFL.

If you don't have a CCW permit, there is a state wide 3 day waiting period for hand guns. The more populated counties also put a waiting period on rifles. If you are not a Florida resident, you won't get a gun with or without a CCW permit unless you do a transfer to a FFL in your state. That's assuming the gun you buy is legal in your state. Also, a lot of Florida dealers won't sell to a non resident.

The best thing to do is ask the dealer you buy your gun from. I'm sure they are well aware of the laws on selling guns in Florida. I doubt they are well aware of the laws of other states.

Last edited:

markdido

Tegumu,

This was my original post:

Have purchased in Orange and Brevard counties with a CCW. No wait on hand-guns.

A little known FL fact is that you do not have to wait to pick up a handgun if you have proof that you have legally purchased one before (like having a bill of sale with you)

You can do this even if you don't have a CWP

At one time if you had a bill of sale for a previously purchased handgun, you did not have to wait 3 days. This apparently has changed. You can still walk out the door same day with a CCW.