Question about FL Concealed Carry

furyfour

not sure if this is the right section, but FL law states:

any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption*

is off limits for carry.

Now it sounds like it does, but does this mean any restaurant that serves alcoholic beverages is a no carry zone?

Thanks

Doyle

You didn't read the rest of the statue. It basically says thay you can't carry in place of business or a portion of a place of business that is primarily devoted to the sale of alcohol. This means that a restaurant that sells drinks with meals is ok, but don't sit at the "bar" area where the primary sales are drinks.

mountainclmbr

That is correct, I think there is/was a 50% rule too. If an establishment sold over 50% alcohol then carry was not permitted. It has been many years since I lived in FL though. Other states are different making for difficulties in knowing if you are good or a felon.

divemedic

I called the Ag office a few years ago and asked this question. I specifically asked about Restaurants like Red Lobster and Outback, where they have a lounge area. The lady there said that the law is intended to stop people from carrying in bars, and that they had no intention of enforcing it on people in a restaurant. The example she used was a bar inside of a mall, or inside of a bowling alley.

Sine even the lounge in such establishments serves full meals, the AG would have a problem here with this one.

sw_florida

I don't mind sitting in the bar area of a restaurant, but I don't sit at the bar itself. Sitting on a high stool would make my large .357 magnum print. A booth is better.

furyfour

thanks for the answers guys, guess I missed that part

yea I frequent places like alehouse and fridays and have been on teh fence about this one

FireMax

The FL law states that you can conceal carry in an establishment that does not get more than 50% of its sales from consumption of alcohol on the premises. The question is, how do you know for sure what percentages each restaurant has? I carry my weapon into restaurants in Florida without fear of reprisal. Just yesterday, I had dinner in a restaurant that serves beer and wine. I sat next to a table of sheriffs deputies who were having dinner. I had absolutely no fear that I was doing anything wrong.

I believe the spirit of the law is to keep people from conceal carrying into bars.

furyfour

That what I was thinking as well FireMax.

Now heres a new question. I personally will not drink at all while carrying, but I know many enjoy a single beer or wine with dinner (I usually do).

I was curious if anyone does or knows anyone that does?

Garand Illusion

You cannot carry while under the influence in Colorado (which has not yet been well defined in courts, but most say the same rules as driving would apply) but there are no rules against carrying into a bar.

I am not much of a drinker, and at my age I know myself well enough to know that I can limit myself to one beer. So I will occasionally have a single beer, or over a period of time even two, while carrying.

If I have any expectations or there is a possibility I will do more drinking than that, I do not carry. And would not even if the law against carrying under the influence didn't exist.

The odd part is ... about the only time I go any place where there may be a significant danger of violence (still not very great) is when I go downtown. And when I go downtown it is usually for either work related meetings or because I am headed for bar, and in neither case do I carry.

Catch 22 ...

FireMax

FuryFour
That what I was thinking as well FireMax.

Now heres a new question. I personally will not drink at all while carrying, but I know many enjoy a single beer or wine with dinner (I usually do).

I was curious if anyone does or knows anyone that does?

I don't touch a sip of alcohol at anytime I am carrying. Nor do I conceal carry if I have previously been drinking that day. I respect my right to conceal carry and do not want to do anything to screw it up. I know one or two people that will have a beer or two while carrying their gun.

thrgunsmith

Thats why I like NV

You can go to a bar and carry, you just can't be drunk and carry.
I do not drink but will go see a rock show once in a while.