Question about CZ 70 pistol

Sid

I have read many good things about this gun, but I do have one question. How heavy is the trigger pull on this pistol? Is it more than 5 pounds? This is important for me because I am a senior citizen with arthritis in my hands.

AK103K

The DA trigger on my CZ70 is a two finger trigger (you need two to pull it). Its god awful. The SA trigger is quite the opposite, and actually very nice.

I tried to lighten the DA trigger by fooling with the main spring, with no luck. I did find a little "shim" (for lack of a better term) when I had things apart, that was some sort of mag retention gizmo that kept the mags from falling free when released. I left it out, and now the mags drop free when you hit the button.

The only other issue I had with the gun was with the mags. The gun wouldnt feed with more than 3 rounds in the mag. I had the same troubles with the supposedly "new" mags I bought trying to figure things out. I heard all sorts of stories and fixes researching the problem, but what ended up being the problem was just mag springs. Wolff has them, and its a cheap fix. Runs great now.

ballardw

I wouldn't say the the double-action trigger on my CZ70 is a two finger pull. But it does have an exposed hammer and can be cocked manually for first round single action trigger. It even has a safety so could be carried cocked-and locked though it is a tad awkward to work one-handed.

I haven't shot any of the self-defense hollow-points with mine. So I can't say anything about reliability with that ammo but plain ball hasn't had any problems.

JimmyR

I would not reccomend the CZ-70 for an elderly person with arthritis- or really any of the mil-surp pistols. The trigger is very heavy, and as has been said the controls can be tough to manipulate. All that for a 32 ACP pistol makes is less attractive- one of the reasons I sold mine.

As for the magazines, I never had any issues. I was unable to feel hollow point ammo in mine, and because they were designed for military/police use with FMJ rounds, I wouldn't reccomend trying it unless you have some gunsmithing work done beforehand.

Ibmikey

I have both CZ 50 & 70's which seem to eat any ball ammo the I have fed them, never tried other bullet configurations. For arthritic hands this is not your pistol as the hammer drop, safety mechanism is difficult to operate and has been noted the single action is fine but the double requires a bit of finger strength. They are concealable but a bit heavy for the calliber.

DaleA

Sid - any other guns under consideration?

I'm not at your point yet but waaaay down the road if I squint kind of hard I think I can see it coming up for me too.

Sid

Reply to DaleA

I bought a CZ 27 in .32 ACP and took it to the range the other day. This pistol is just what the doctor ordered for an old guy like me. It was absolutely a pleasure to shoot. The trigger has a slight amount of creep which you would expect in a firearm like this and then breaks crisply with only a slight amount of pressure. Since this gun is solid steel and weighs 24 ounces the recoil is very mild. I shot 150 rounds and it did not bother my hands one bit.

I had 2 failures to fire which were caused by light primer strikes. So I ordered a new spring from Wolf Springs which will correct this and the cost was nominal.

The pistol was late wartime production and has thin blueing. It does have the Nazi wartime markings. I would rate the finish at about 95%.

car

I have several .32 autos including a CZ 70. I think the best of the bunch is the Beretta model 70.