Question about CZ 527 American

wbw

I'm looking at a slightly used 527 M1P (synthetic stock) in .223. I've been able to find some info on the 527 M1, but not really anything about an M1P. Anybody know what an M1P means? Should I not worry about it and just use the specs on the M1? The barrel is free floated, but is that synthetic stock considered to be any good or not?

I don't hunt so my intended use will just be punching paper at no more than 100 yds. Now the barrel on this gun looks fairly thin. Unless I wait a few minutes between shots will this rifle start to spread out if I keep shooting, say every 30 seconds. I believe the rifle's intended use is hunting. Should I be looking for something with a heavier barrel for just target shooting?

I've always read very positive things about CZ 527s and now I'm presented with an opportunity to get one in excellent condition with rings. I like the trigger and the bolt works nicely. I would love to get this but am wondering if shooting more often than every two or three minutes will leave me disappointed with the results. I guess I could slow down but once it's zeroed in, I don't see myself waiting a long time between shots.

Thanks for any input.

wbw

Let's forget about the 'M1P' part of my question. Anybody have a 527 American with a thin barrel that can talk about how it shoots if you don't slow down the timing of the shots?

I really want this rifle but my gut is telling me that if I don't shoot it real slow, the shots are going to start spreading out. I guess I was hoping someone here would tell me different.

thallub

I really want this rifle but my gut is telling me that if I don't shoot it real slow, the shots are going to start spreading out.

My CZ 527 is good for three quickly fired rounds. My 100 yard three shot groups usually measure 3/8-3/4". A fourth round is almost always outside the group by about 1/2".

My gun must cool for 10-15 minutes between groups when the temperature is 80-90 F.

fourbore

I have a 527 carbine with 1/12 twist in 223. First day out after siting in I put 5 shots in 1 inch c-c group at 100 yards. I started hunting and not been back to the range. That was a golden eagle 50 grain hp, economy load.

I like it so much, I am planning to get a varmint wood model in the now discontinued 1/12 twist. I plan to varmint hunt only, no deer or long range match loads. The 1/9 seems a popular compromise and just saying based on my 12 experience and cz experience, I will be staying with that winning formula.

The 223 is very versatile, I have just the one gun. I could see several more before I stop shooting. And a 1/9 might be included, or faster.

wbw

As Chris said, the carbine has a shorter and stiffer barrel than the 527 I'm looking at. I'll probably need to pass on this one.

I have a 527 American chambered in 222 Remington that has the factory barrel configuration--21.9 inches. Looks skinny. Shoots fat. Not being a target shooter as such, the constancy of group size is only observed when developing loads or tuning a load. It is used for prairie dog shooting, so if it has to cool for 15 minutes after 3 rounds, it will not work for me. This rifle stays pretty consistent. When it was newer, 3/8 " groups of three were common and easy. The last I shot it the groups were larger, but it is still very usable for my purposes. Less than MOA for 5 shot groups. I think it depends on the rifle. Mine has a free floated barrel.

wbw

Thanks Colorado. The 527 I'm considering has a free floated barrel.

CZ rifles aren't seen very often where I live. So this nearly new 527 really has my interest. I was reading about the mini-mauser action. I really want this gun but not sure it will suit my needs. I don't want to wait a few minutes between shots or five minutes between three shot groups. I'm not hunting, (or shooting prairie dogs) just shooting paper.

Last edited:

wbw

I would be shooting for small groups. Granted, I am fairly new to the rifle game. I'm not all 'sophisticated' with my rifle shooting yet. Maybe I will be later on, but right now it's just a sandbag for a front rest. I guess I'm trying to eliminate one variable (barrel whip). But maybe I'm overthinking the whole thing. I tend to do that. I'm not that technical right now. But next year when I retire, and hopefully shoot at least once a week, maybe I'll become more of a precision shooter.

I guess most folks would just buy the rifle that they want and have fun with it. I need to analyze everything to death.

fourbore

Instead of settling for some one else's discard gun. I would have a 527 ordered in varmint model. ok- I do. I have a carbine and like it much so, that I am adding another for taking a stand against varmints. It should be a good gun for paper too. You can get a classic action in your choice of stocks. Any LGS worthy of your patronage should be able to get you a 527 in your choice and if not, there are many on-line souces that ship to a local FFL. Well any model cz can be out of stock for a while. I rather wait on what I really want than just grab a 2nd best for sake of convenient. Saving a 100 bucks is not much over a life time of shooting ammo, scope and accessories.

I save all my receipts and the gun cost is kinda tip of the iceberg.

lewwetzel

Yeah, get the Varmint model if you're worried about barrel heat. I have a 527 Varmint in .204 and it's right up there with my Cooper in accuracy. Also, newer .223 Varmints have a 9-twist barrel, good for shooting the heavier/longer Match bullets. And, you'll also love the set trigger option for target shooting. Getting used to C-Z's backwards safety shouldn't be an issue for your type of shooting.
C-Zs are about the only well-made ("old school"), accurate, affordable rifle out there these days....

wbw

I'm now looking at the 527 Thumbhole Varmint. 1:9 twist and 24" heavy barrel weighing 7.8 lbs.. That will give me the nice bolt and the set trigger with the heavier barrel. It will cost me more than used but this is probably the way to go.

sirgilligan

I have the CZ 527 Varmint in .223 REM. With five different shooters and shooting ammo from 35 grain to 75 grain the worst group for anyone was 1" at 100 yards (we stepped it, so about 100 yards)

Also, the CZ rifles stamped .223 REM have 5.56 NATO chambers, this was verified by contacting CZ myself.

The set trigger is a very nice option.

I did have to sand the stock to get the barrel fully floated. CZ told me that they leave the factory fully floated but wood changes.

Hunter Customs

I had a CZ 527, beautiful rifle, gave it to one of my grandsons.

It had the slower twist, with 45 grain bullets it was a half MOA rifle, stepping up to 55 grain bullets it was a different story, never could get the 55's to shoot like a 223 should.