Question about Class 3's "Wearing out"

MosinM38

Okay. Dumb question.
I KNOW that guns wear out. After you shoot multiple thousands of rounds they do it.

But I was wondering. What on a class 3 cannot be changed? That is if something wears out what specifically couldn't be replaced? I was just curious. Because theoretically a a Class 3 wouldn't wear out fully unless something couldn't be replaced.

I don't KNOW about this because I have only seen 3 guns worn out. (A 10/22 with over 300K rounds through it, a old .45 colt shot a few times to many with hotrodded rounds, and a .222 that just got awful loose and rickety after riding in a ranch pickup for 50 years.).

I was wondering because I was thinking if something breaks you could just replace that part.

Excuse my newbness on this But I am a little un-educated on wearing out a gun.

VUPDblue

Surprisingly enough, that is a terriffic question! Unfortunately there is not a short answer. You can replace parts all day long as they wear out as long as they are not the serialized part. Example being, you can replace any and all of the FCG parts of a registered receiver M16 whenever you like. If your registered receiver gets any 'egging' in the pin holes, you can have those repaired too, usually welded and re-drilled. There is a tricky part here too. Lets say you bought a full-blown M16 from Colt in the early '80's. One day last week, you are at the range and you suffer a catastrophic KB that splits the receiver. You can send the receiver back to Colt who would then destroy the receiver and build you a new one with the same serial #. Conversely, lets say you bought a Bushmaster AR15 and had it converted to F/A by Norrell. Same KB scenario. You cannot send it back to Bushmaster the same as you did with the Colt above because they didn't "manufacture" it as a F/A. Your best bet would be to try and get it repaired by a FFL/SOT. If it cannot be repaired, you would then have a very expensive paperweight. You can only have the catastrophically damaged part replaced by the original manufacturer. You can repair serialized parts all day long. If they can't be repaired or replaced then refer to the expensive paperweight above.

Legion2600

Yea, original manufacturer is the key word. I've heard Ruger has done this with some of the AC556's.

Just another reason why people nowadays choose their title II stuff carefully.

rkba_net

From the ATF NFA Handbook...

7.5.4 May machinegun receivers be manufactured and used as replacement parts for machineguns lawfully registered and possessed prior to May 19, 1986?

As previously stated, 18 U.S.C. 922(o) generally makes it unlawful to possess or transfer any machinegun, including a machinegun frame or receiver, manufactured after May 18, 1986. Exceptions are provided for weapons
produced by a qualified manufacturer for sale to government entities, as dealer sales samples, or for
exportation. There is no exception allowing for the lawful production, transfer, possession, or use of a post-May 18, 1986 machinegun receiver as a replacement receiver on a weapon produced prior to May 19, 1986.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nfa/nfa_handbook/index.htm

MisterPX

Don't recall Colt redoing MG's. Oly did for a while, tehn stopped doing so. IIRC< you're only options for a RR 16 is repair nowadays.

VUPDblue

You are correct about Oly. I used Colt as my example just to be clear, everyone knows Colt. I know ATF doesn't recognize a re-manufactured reciever specificially, but I know it has happened.

VUPDblue

You would probably want to form a corporation in that kind of situation. You could all be officers of the corporation and could each legally posess the weapon. The Mac is probably one of the cheapest F/As out there.

MosinM38

Hmmmm. Ok... Just curious because a few find F/A's really neat.. BUT.. Not worth the price-tag. But if everyone chips in a little it would be a good way to have a little fun :)
And Mac10 is probably best. .45 ACP ammo is cheaper than .223.