Question about blanks

N00b_Shooter

I was just curious if it is possable to make blanks for a .308? Do blanks simulate realistic recoil when fired? i heard somewhere that you cant just fire blanks out of any gun and that it needs to be modified, is this true? thx

T. O'Heir

"...possible to make blanks for a .308?..." Yes and no. Most current military 7.62NATO blanks have a long crimped part where the bullet would be that allows feeding. That part can't be made with regular brass.
"...Do blanks simulate realistic recoil..." No. No bullet means no recoil. The gases are enough to operate a semi-auto rifle if you have a blank firing attachment(BFA). No BFA means no gases to cycle the action. That doesn't apply to a bolt action or revolvers though.
Blank firing movie guns either have a special blank barrel(semi-auto pistol like a Colt .45 require one) or a BFA in the barrel. If you know what one looks like and what a muzzle should look like, you can see the BFA on movie rifles. Especially M1 rifles. The distance from the front sight and the muzzle of an M1 is about a half inch. With the BFA on it's longer. Mind you, movie blanks are made to give a bigger flash than a live cartridge and the gun shot sound is added in editing.
Don't know about Australia(I'd be surprised if you could find 'em, given your laws. Semi-auto battle rifles being evil), but here in Canada, blanks appear occasionally at gun shows. In the U.S., they appear on some milsurp retailer's shelves. If you ever do find a box, make sure it doesn't say 'Grenade Blank'. They're much more powerful than a training blank. The crimp is much shorter than any bullet.
In any case, playing with blanks, of any kind, can be dangerous. They're not safe to play with. Brandon Lee, Bruce Lee's actor son, was killed with a blank out of a revolver.

bluetopper

You can make a blank I guess but it won't have the effect of commercial made blanks.
Blank loads are manufactured with ultra fast burning powders not available to the public.

Sevens

Actually, actor Jon-Erik Hexum is a better example of a guy who was actually killed by blanks-- he put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger as a gag and the concussion and blast of the blank round killed him.

Brandon Lee's death was a bit different. It happened over the course of a couple of weeks... Some "dummy" rounds were made up by dumping the powder and re-seating a bullet over a live primer. A bullet was lodged in the barrel by a primer-only detonation. That revolver sat for a period of days with that bullet unknowingly lodged in the barrel. Later, a blank round was fired behind that lodged bullet and the blank sent it out of the muzzle very much like a loaded round and that's how Brandon Lee lost his life. It was a bullet that killed him, but a blank was involved.