Question about AR scope rings

'75Scout

I've seen a few picture here and there with flat-top ARs with scopes mounted. The scope rings are raised and there is an open area or window under the scope. And it looks as if you could use a certain type of folding BUIS with the scope still on. Is it possible to use BUIS on a scoped AR without removing the scope?

boltgun71

I believe the open area under the rings you are talking about is simply to reduce weight. They make the rings high to accomodate the large objectives of the scopes or to fit a folding rear sight under the scope in case you need it. Since the rings are high and they dont want to add the additional weight to the rifle they remove material from the rings base. I dont believe it is possible to use a back-up iron sight in conjuction with a magnified optic. Normally the back-up iron sights can only be used with non-magnification red dot sights. You need to remove a magnified optic before a back-up iron sight can be used. Plus I dont believe you could look under the scope for any sights because the front sight base would block the view. Hope this helps.

'75Scout

I understand that. The pic I saw had folding front and back BUIS and they looked a little different than any other BUIS I've seen. The pic was of the Robinson Armament XRC in the magazine "Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement" several months back. And it looked like the arpature and front sight post could still be used when folded.

Also do the swan lever scope rings loose your zero when you take the scope off? If I ever want to use my BUIS will I have to re-zero the scope. I want to start building my ideal AR sometime soon. I want tom build a tackdriving AR that could be used from CQB distances to 300 yards (or a little more). If it is impossible to use BUIS at the same time as the scope, then I guess I could add the Doc Optics red Dot to the scope ring.

AK103K

I have a flat top that primarily has a scope on it, but also has an Aimpoint on a ARMS lever mount as a backup. The scope is on an ARMS lever mount as well. Both have always returned to zero when removed and replaced. I also had a Scout scope on a set of ARMS lever rings for my SOCOM. They also worked as advertised.

I dont know of a scope that will work with the BUIS, the dot sights will with the right mounts or rings.

'75Scout

Yeah I know the Eotechs and Aimpoints will co-witness. But I'm looking for more magnification. I can't decide if I should get a higher magnification scope with a DocOptics Red Dot or go with a Horus Vison Talon 1-4x. The Horus won't be as good for longer ranges, but it should work well enough out to 300 yards.

AK103K

I have a Leupold 1.5x5 on my rifle. Works great. I dont see the AR really being more than a 300 yard rifle anyway and never understood the big target scopes on them. The 1.5x5 covers anything I think I'd ever need out of it. I also like the versatility of the lever mounts.

I also have another rifle with both Aimpoint and BUIS. It to works well, and is another option. I could probably still get the Aimpoint magnifier on it if I wanted, but I really dont see the need.

eab5ca90.jpg

f4c8daae.jpg

'75Scout

I didn't know how useful, in terms of distance, a 4x scope was. I more of a handgunner type. And I want to make my first centerfire rifle just about perfedct for my needs. So I guess the Horus Vison Talon makes the most sense for my needs. Thanks for all the help.