Question about aiming with both eyes open

HistoryJunky

I've read a lot of posts about aiming with both eyes open while shooting with all types of firearms and I have a quick question. I live within the city limits of a small town so I cannot practice shooting at all in town and the only place I have to shoot is a friend's property. However, I do have an airsoft gun and it has normal iron sights like it's gunpowder firing equivalent. Would aiming with both eyes open with my airsoft rifle be a decent way to practice the same thing with a real firearm? That's all, thanks.

austinjking

Some shooters have both eyes open to keep aware of the surrounding areas during a firefight, as I was taught. I was taught the Bindon Aiming Concept where both eyes remain open: the shooting eye looks through the scope and the other eye remains on target. It's used for close range work. With the Trijicon ACOG, having both eyes open and aiming at a target re-adjusts the image of your shooting eye so a target 30 feet away isn't magnified so much that it becomes disorienting.
For regular shooting, it might just be personal preference. I don't notice much difference with one eye versus two.

10-96

Sure it makes for good practice. Just about anything you do that does not instill bad form or habits makes for good practice. Try this- pick an object or target, focus on it with the rifle pointed low, and slowly bring the sights up to your line of sight without moving your head to the sights (your head will have to move a little bit to get a good cheek weld- the trick is to not over do it so as to loose good hold form). Do this slowly several times and start pulling the trigger on every 4th or 5th shot. When that gets up to speed, try some multiple target drills. Pick a target, focus, then bring the rifle to the eye on each target while focusing on stance, form, breathing, and trigger squeeze.

Marquezj16

I've used both eyes open for red dots and rifle scopes. Both eyes open with red dots I learned from training and just recently I have tried the same technique with my riflescopes. My eyes don't get as fatigue after a day of shooting. have never tried it with iron sights though.

9-ball

Yes, I frequently dry fire at home to practice this. While your at it, try switching shoulder from time to time too. Being ambidextrous can have some serious advantages. If your eye dominance is too strong for this, then just keep practising with your dominant eye.

Picher

I keep both eyes open, whether shooting rifle, handgun, or shotgun. There's less eyestrain by doing so, and you can see much more of what's going on, then when looking through sights with only one eye open.

Whether there are other threats, other game, or more importantly, people, other animals, etc. that you don't want to be shot. It's especially important when shooting at running or flying game where it's important to see what may be coming into the danger zone.

If a person shoots right-handed, but is left-eyed, it's very difficult to accomplish shooting with both eyes open, if sighting with the non-master eye. It may help to practice closing the master eye until the target is acquired, then open it.

sc928porsche

I have always been able to acquire my target quickly with one eye over iron sights. It is difficult enough to concentrate on the front sight while "ghosting" the rear sight and target without the added information coming from the other eye. A scope is a different matter. Because of its magnification and restricted field of view, aquiring your target with one eye is difficult. It is best to acquire your target with both eyes open and then switch concentration to the eye behind the scope.

If you are shooting targets from a bench, it really dosnt matter which method you use because you have all the time you need. Afterall, the target isnt going to run away.

jmr40

You don't need a toy gun to practice with. Use the guns you own. Dry fire practice is your friend and can be done anywhere.

HistoryJunky

Thanks everyone

For all of your insightful responses. And sorry for the delay in my response, I didn't mean to look like a drive by poster. I've just been away from internet access for the past couple days. I'll have to try some of the suggestions all you guys gave me.

Jmr40, I think you're trying to insinuate that I find it necessary to practice with a toy gun that is not the case. I would not have a problem with dry fire practice, but in my current living condition that would be impossible. I live with my parents who don't approve of me even having my firearms in the house, so much that I have to keep them stored in the trunk of my car.

I do realize however that dry fire practice or live fire practice with an actual firearm would be my best option, but that option is just not available to me whenever I want.

chack

airsoft is a great training aid. It allows you to plink in your living room or back yard no matter what the weather is like and is cheap and super easy. Identify which is your dominant eye, if you are weak side eye dominant shooting with both eyes open may not work for you.