Question about a rifle by E C Green - Cheltenham - Gloster

G.O. West

I have acquired this single shot break open rifle. On the top of the octagon barrel is stamped E C Green - Cheltenham - Gloster. There are no other markings visible. It is a centerfire with a straight wall chamber. It looks like about 30 caliber and a 32 Long Colt chambers nicely in it. The 32 S&W case is too large a diameter. Does anyone have any idea what cartridge this may have been made for?

P9RmjS2.jpg

Jim Watson

CAVEAT: From print and www, I haven't got one. A friend does, but it was Parker Rifled (lined) to .22 when the odd small calibers were discontinued.

Probably a .300 Rook (H&H called it the .295, Kynoch .300)
Case is longer than .32 LC.
Standard load in the day was 10 grains black and an 80 grain bullet; later modernized to 4.5 grains of smokeless, Unique works.

Buffalo Arms catalogs dies, brass and bullets, none in stock. Expensive to load for an odd old cartridge.

You might slug the barrel and see what its actual groove diameter is and whether it might take a standard .32 bullet instead of the original .300".

Last edited:

jcj54

.300 Rook is the most likely.

.300 Rook and .310 Cadet are the same cartridge. It is a slightly tapered case that uses a.321 diameter heeled bullet, the heel being about .314. Case length is 1.075 long and .32-20WCF cases can be used, sometimes requiring the rim to be thinned.
Bullet molds for the correct bullet are available.
I use 4 gr of unique in my Cadet rifle. Dies are available from CH and Lee.

Last edited: