Question about a Marlin 44

bearhuntr

I have a Marlin 44 lever. It is stainless with grey laminate stock. It is JM stamped with 1894LTDSS. It is a 16 or 16 1/2 inch barrel. I have done some searching and cannot find anything about the rifle as far as when produced, how many and value. Initial scan of Gunbroker has similar ones but not the rifle. Any clues?

Big Shrek

Ok, an 1894LTDSS is a fairly recent rifle, how new is determined by the serial...
the first two numbers, or letters, will tell us bunches.

jmr40

Subtract the 1st two digits from 100 to determine DOM, at least on MOST Marlins made since the early 1970's. For example if the 1st 2 digits are 90, it is a 2010 made rifle. If they are 25, it is a 1975 made rifle.

There are a few rifles made in limited runs where they don't use the code, and this could be an example. I have one of 500 Marlin LTD's in 35 Rem. made in 2005 that use a separate SN. They are simply numbered with the model number and 1-500

FrankenMauser

Subtract the 1st two digits from 100 to determine DOM, at least on MOST Marlins made since the early 1970's. For example if the 1st 2 digits are 90, it is a 2010 made rifle. If they are 25, it is a 1975 made rifle.
And if the serial number starts with "MM" or "MR", it's a post-2012 rifle (Remington built). You won't be able to date it without calling Marlin/Remington.

FrankenMauser

The barrel date code gets you pretty close...

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%...date_code.html
I haven't seen a Marlin that adheres to the Remington date codes.

What I have seen may be primarily oddities or the minority, but I haven't seen a Marlin with a barrel date code that follows the Remington pattern.

The closest I have seen are barrel stamps indicating year of manufacture on the left side (such as just "14"), but those have only been on X7s.
I haven't seen a single lever action with any kind of Remington barrel date code - just the proof mark and inspector's stamp on the right side.

Salmoneye

I haven't seen a Marlin that adheres to the Remington date codes.

It is my experience (and understanding that) all Marlin levers since the transfer of production to Ilion have had the barrel date codes...

Seems to be the consensus at MarlinOwners also...

FrankenMauser

I've had three "REP" lever action take-off barrels in my possession since 2012. I still have one of them.
None have had date codes - hidden or otherwise.

I've also looked at several dozen "Remlin" 336s and 1895s. None had date codes.

I just took a look over at MarlinOwners, since I rarely stray from the 444 forum (and there haven't been many of them since production moved). From what I'm seeing, it seems like it's about 50/50. About half of the barrels are date-coded, even if it's on the right side instead of the left. And about half of the barrels are not date-coded at all.
To make matters even more inconsistent, it seems like 'small bore' barrels are much more likely to be date-coded than 444 and 1895 barrels.

FrankenMauser

The first three of the serial is 94S...so I take it as a 2006 production?
The '94' prefix should be correct for 2006.

I find the 'S' to be a bit odd, but that could be there due to a limited edition or special production run.