Question about 44 Mag recipe

maillemaker

Hi all,

I have received a set of Lee Dies and this mold for .44 Remington Mag for Christmas:

TL430-240-SWC

I currently have Bullseye powder on hand from loading .45 ACP.

I am using Lee Alox Lube.

Bullets are cast from Wheel Weight.

The Alliant Powder web site gives this recipe for a 240 grain cast lead semi wadcutter:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=240&shellid=33&bulletid=52

Minimum OAL(inches): 1.605
Barrel Length: 7.5
Primer CCI: 300
Powder: Bullseye
Charge Weight (grains): 6
Velocity (fps): 894

I will be shooting these out of a S&W Model 629.

Does this sound like an appropriate load?

Thanks,
Steve

TimSr

It depends on what you are going for. That would be a good light plinking round. The charge is based on an assumption that the bullet is soft lead rather than cast, and is kept low to reduce leading. Lyman manuals probably have the best cast bullet info, and you can move that bullet a lot faster if that is your wish.

If you are going for a real full power .44 Magnum round, Bullseye is not the ticket. If you want a light comfortable plinking round that should workout fine.

maillemaker

Unfortunately, Lyman 49th does not list Bullseye as a .44 Mag powder, as I recall.

This made me think that Bullseye might not be the best powder for this use, but it is what I have on hand.

The charge is based on an assumption that the bullet is soft lead rather than cast

I do not follow.

The Alliant web site says:

"240 gr cast LSWC"

Which I read as a "240 grain cast lead semi wad cutter", which is just want the TL430-240-SWC is?

Did you mean to say lead rather than wheel weight?

Steve

T. O'Heir

Wheel weights are contaminated lead(has other stuff in it), but lead just the same. Lot of 'em aren't lead any more though. Anyway, cast bullet loads are always slower than jacketed loads. You can't drive 'em as fast or you'll get leading.
"...soft lead rather than cast..." This is kind of unintentionally misleading. Cast bullets can be soft or hard depending on the amount of antimony in 'em. Really makes no difference unless you're looking for hot cast bullet loads.
The Alliant Bullseye load is, um, tame when compared to some cast loads. The 240 grain cast RNFP BE-86 load on the Alliant site, for example. Some of the Hodgdon powders give much higher velocities with the same bullet than Bullseye. AutoComp and CFE Pistol start at a bit under 1200 fps.
What you want to do with a .44 Mag and cast bullets is important.

maillemaker

I know all about the differences between WW and pure lead. I shoot black powder competitively and all my expanding ball bullets have to be made of pure lead to expand properly.

I use WW for .45 ACP and it is considerably harder by scratch test. I buy the WWs from a local tire store and fish out the zinc and other crap in the bucket.

I just enjoy shooting .44 Mag with store-bought ammo - I like the big blast. I just can't see paying $1 a shot for it anymore. I want to make similar using cast WW bullets. I suspect I can't push the Lee bullet with WW as fast as commercial jacketed ammo but that's OK. This is all for shooting paper.

Steve

T. O'Heir

Hi. For paper, it's hard to beat Bullseye. Been used by target shooters for eons. Used it myself in .38 Special in .357 cases for bullseye shooting. And .45 and 9mm cast loads. Jacketed bullets are horrendously expensive here.
You can load your .44 Mag cases to .44 Special velocities too. Only matters if you ever shoot cast Specials then want to shoot magnums. Using the magnum case eliminates the lube gunk ring in the cylinders. Even that isn't a big deal. Comes right out with a brush.
Even the hardest cast bullet expands upon impact. Isn't really an issue.

TimSr

Sorry, I was unclear. Was supposed to read "hard cast". The data typically posted is based on soft lead because that is what you usually get when you buy name brand (Speer) lead bullets in boxes of 100. You can cut into them with your finger nail. They can't be loaded to near the velocities of hard cast bullets. they work well for low velocity loads over Bullseye like Aliant lists. The industry has hardness ratings (brinell) for cast bullets. If you buy quality bullets in lots of 500 form a good bullet casting company,
with a brinell rating of 18, you can load them to full magnum loads without barrel leading problems.

I use these:

http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=103&category=5&secondary=12&keywords=

Unique is a very versatile powder with which you can load almost the full spectrum of 44 Mag from paper puncher to deer. For best performance on the high end, that cannot be reduced I use H110/W296.

Salmoneye

6gr Bullseye under that boolit will make a fine plinker, target and small game load...

I use the same bullet over 5gr Red Dot for about the same velocity in my Super Blackhawk, and fun plinking in my Marlin 1894S...

riverratt

With proper bullet to barrel fit and a well developed load, using the 45/45/10 lube, you can drive that bullet faster than you think. I'm using a rather soft lead mix and I'm pushing that bullet at 1250 fps, book velocity, out of my 7 1/2 " SBH using a healthy charge of IMR 4227. The other day I went out and shot 120 rounds with nearly zero leading.

Your bullseye load should work fine as a plinking load but if you want a magnum load it ain't gonna cut it. I think that 4227 burns cooler than the other mag powders (2400, H-110,WIN 296) and thus gives you less leading. Of course I could be wrong about that, but it works for me so it's gotta work for you, right?:rolleyes::)

sawdustdad

I, too like 5g Red Dot for a nice plinking load. I've just recently been working with 4227 in a full power load and like it a lot. Less felt recoil than my 2400 or 296 loads. Don't have a chrono so not sure how fps vary...

Kosh75287

The Alliant load is certainly SAFE for use in a .44 Mag, but the velocity should be half-again what they report, for it to be truly in the .44 Magnum level of performance. What they've given you is a load that approximates a ".44 Special +P" load, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that, for general purposes.

I recommend that you DO NOT pursue .44 Mag velocities, using Bullseye powders. It can be done, but Bullseye's pretty much at its best when used in weapons having modest chamber pressures.

If you can find them, powders in the medium burning range or slower would be easier to work with. Unique, Herco, AA #5, Hodgdon HS-6, Hodgdon Universal, IMR SR4756, IMR SR7625, IMR-800X, and VV3N37 are all in the medium to medium-slow range. Of these, I like Unique or Herco, though others mentioned will meter better for you (especially AA#5). All of these powders are probably capable of launching 240 grain projectiles at velocities above 1000f/s. MOST of these can be used to duplicate the Alliant Bullseye load you mention, also.

Slower-burning powders, like AA#9, Alliant 2400, IMR4227, Hodgdon 4227, and H110 (aka Winchester 296) will give you max available performance (240 grains @ 1250 f/s or more) from a 6" barrel, at acceptable pressures. I should also point out that I can't get any of these to burn completely in a 6" barrel, so expect some significant muzzle-flash if you use them.

I always expect to have trouble getting the moulds to fill out completely, if I cast bullets from pure wheel weights. Adding a little (sometimes, more than a little) tin makes them a lot easier to cast, and I haven't noticed serious leading. I've pushed 200 grain .452" cast SWCs to 1200+ f/s with definite, though negligible signs of leading.

trapper9260

I shoot cast in my 44mag and also use gas checks on them and cast with WW. I have no leading for the speed i push them at.I am for also not use Bullseye to use for the mag load.I would do like was stated of the other powders to use.Also for the lube you use will have you get leading or not beside the alloy you have and the dia. of your boolit also.I make my own lube and I do not TL them I size and lube at the same time of sizen .