Quest for the Elusive .25 Hornet, or, I Want a MANLY Small-bore Magnum!

Hand_Rifle_Guy

Elmer Kieth himself saw a use for the .25 stevens long rimfire. He thought it would/did make a dandy small game caliber.

Well, all the big rimfires are dead, but that does not remove the viability of the concept.

Don't get me wrong, the .22 mag fills a definite niche. But I am a hopeless fan of bigger bullets, and this one is a "big-bore" small-bore, that allows as much as double the weight, or more, without setback issues a la .256 Win. Mag.

I'm also intrigued by the idea of rifle-weight bullets at lower velocities, not unlike the .300 whisper.

The cases are easy to get/make.

60 grn. bullets would really cook.

It would make a pretty good rifle round, too.

I guess I want it to be what the .32 mag failed to be: a real small-bore magnum in a revolver.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery? ;)

Has any body done this yet? I haven't found anything about it in my research, but I find it hard to believe this is any kind of new idea considerin how long the Hornet's been around.

WIL TERRY

the 25 Hornet huh?

I've shot one of these about ten years ago. If memory serves it was built on a Single Six. 87gr LFN bullets at 1400fps...
I do believe Hamilton Bowen, Louisville TN, will build these 25 Hornet sixguns yet.
[ The correct spelling is K-E-I-T-H...]

Jim Watson

There was an article in Handloader or Rifle about the .25 Hornet in a revolver a number of years ago. Converted from a K22. I don't recall that it had a lot of technical data as to loads, velocity, and accuracy, the gun was borrowed by the ragwriter from a neighbor instead of the usual promotional channels. Stuff along the lines of - such high velocity and flat trajectory that he missed a running coyote by holding too high and with too much lead. Phooey, not up to Wolfe's then high technical standards.

Anyway, I think, repeat, think, that the work was done by Nu-Line Guns, to include reboring the barrel, rechambering the cylinder, converting the firing pin to centerfire, and remarking the barrel so well the author said you could not tell it had ever been any other caliber. Phooey again.

Then there was the .22 Harvey Kay-Chuk; a K22 conversion to take .22 K-Hornet shortened enough to fit the cylinder. Said to not have the setback troubles of the Jet or .256. I would like to find a loose Jet-LR conversion cylinder; it might be long enough to take an untrimmed Hornet. That and an M48 barrel so I could use .224 bullets, installed on a M-19 frame to save surgery on a K22 firing pin. Expen$ive fun.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
I've got a package of .45 caliber sabots that will accept 9mm/.38 cal pistols bullets. Figure I ought to be able to get a 90-125 gr (or so) bullet to fairly scream out of a TC .410/.45 LC barrel.

Have yet to start "playing" with it - possibilities do exist.

Just throwing that out as a possible. Depending on what you have already, may be an idea to get some multi-use out of an existing platform w/o a ton of extra expense.

Off the top of my head, there's .30 cal sabots (accepts .223 cal bullets) - maybe used in a .30 carbine revolver, & the above mentioned .45 cal sabots.

Never seen anything to write home about with sabot loads, but never will know without dinking around with it a bit ....

Hand_Rifle_Guy

Spelling aside, I really want one on a D.A. platform, and ultimately on my spare Service Six, subject to getting the round in the frame window. I'm not averse to getting a custom barrel/cylinder in the bargain.

I believe I shall write a letter to Mr. Bowen. He has a lot of interesting ideas, and I want to ask him about some of mine.

I'm not particularly worried about the costs, yet. My silly rifle -caliber derringer cost most of $800. Custom guns of this unique stripe aren't supposed to be cheap.

That, and this is a project for down-the-road-a-ways.