Quest for a pocket semiauto

JWR

After owning and shooting a stainless P14 and GP100 for a few years, without carrying them more than once or twice (they're heavy buggers), I got to looking for a pistol I would actually carry, so off to the local gunstore I went, intending to walk out with a Glock 26/27/33. I picked up the Glock 26 (now all of you glock/sig/H&K/ruger fans, I am NOT insulting these pistols. I know that they are tough, accurate, and reliable. This is merely an observation by one who owns only stainless handguns) The Glock 26 didn't feel quite right, so I moved up to the next size, and darn if it didn't feel right, either! The helpful employee pulled out a Sig 229 and 239, follwed by a USP and then the new polymer Ruger. Then it hit me; they all felt like the cap guns I had when I was 8! I'm quite serious when I say they felt like toys. Unhappy at the prospect of not spending $500+, I picked up the Taurus lightweight snubbie (aluminum & stainless). The little voice that we all have immediately convinced me to pull out the plastic. I also ordered a Savage 112BVSS. That day. It's stainless. Go figure. Is this something that anyone else out there feels? All of you folks that own both polymer and stainless pistols, did you simply get over the "toy gun" feel, or am I doomed to purchasing only stainless shootin' irons? The stainless Springfield longslide looked awfully nice.

Spectre

Staff Alumnus
My G23 feels just right, especially when loaded. One grows to appreciate lighter firearms when one packs a lot, or packs while walking a few miles.

WESHOOT2

JWR,

Right there with you. Just can't abide by plastic.
Not knockin' it, just not for me.

I prefer stainless because I hate it when tools rust (shot USPSA match today, 40F, rain, need everything I own NP3'ed. Except my 1911, it's done.).

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ArmySon:
I like blued semi autos and stainless revolvers. Go figure![/quote]

Agreed! With the exception of stainless Mk II's and the P97. Otherwise, every auto I own is blued and every revolver I ever owned was stainless.

sox

JWR, I really don't see how you can think that a stainless brick in your trousers is "practical" I seek out only the super lightweight variety. I assure you they are plenty sturdy. My favorite is the Keltec P32 at 6.6 oz. 8 rounds of .32ACP. Very controllable tiny package. Some loads offer >125 FPE

JWR

sox, that's the thing! Compared to a loaded stainless P14, anything is light! Something under 16 oz is a dream! Then again, the P14 can double as a really shiny club if it runs dry or chokes (it's only choked on Glasers, which I didn't carry after their failed reliability test, and if shooting something 15 times with a 45 didn't work, I'd be to freakin' scared to find the spare mag)

MIKE10538

I like the Kel-Tec P-11 for most firepower in a light weight small gun. It is only 14oz and holds 10+1. It is the lightest 9mm. The gun fires almost any ammo. I have over 1000 rounds of assorted brands through mine and it works flawlessly. It is very safe to carry due to the DAO trigger and long trigger pull. It fires from a locked breach which makes it very strong & +p approved. I use Cor-Bons for carry and feel very well protected. This is my favorite choice of any gun available for concealed carry.
Mike

David Scott

The Kel-Tec P32 I bought for my wife reminds me of the "noisy cricket" in the movie "Men In Black" -- when Will Smith says, "I feel like I'm gonna break this thing!" Still, it works. Anyone standing in front of it when the trigger's pulled will NOT mistake it for a cap gun.

Richard

I am partial to the S&W 37 I own. Again, this is an "always gun." Carry it a lot and shoot it little. These things kick but they are great for your purpose. You should be able to pick one up for between $150 and $250. After you buy, it get a double action trigger job and a Tyler Grip Adapter, you should get through the night. Regards, Richard.

Onslaught

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ArmySon:
I like blued semi autos and stainless revolvers. Go figure![/quote]

That's THREE!

I like my Semi's black and plastic, my revolvers satin and stainless! (aluminum frames acceptable)
Sometimes, I feel like Son & I must be related or something...
Can you see the family resemblance?
View

:)

[This message has been edited by Onslaught (edited November 08, 2000).]

jtduncan

They may feel like toys but ask the cop who shot the actor in LA what he thinks about "toys."

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG

Guyon

For a smaller pistol with a solid feel, try a Makarov. They're reliable, concealable, and they have that weighty feel you seem to long for.

------------------
Guyon
NRA, GOA, & TFA Member
Vote for your rights!!!

makarov

I wouldn't consider the Mak a pocket pistol. Something the size of a Beretta 21 or Kel-Tec .32 is more in the pocket category. At least for me. The P-11 is also pretty small.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JWR:
All of you folks that own both polymer and stainless pistols, did you simply get over the "toy gun" feel, or am I doomed to purchasing only stainless shootin' irons?[/quote]

Amazingly enough, what feels cheap and toylike in the showroom with an empty mag, feels extremely different performing doubletaps on the range or being held in a good Weaver between yourself and a real-life goblin. I can attest that my polymer pistols felt every bit as real as my stainless ones when I was doing anything other than piddling with them in the dealer's showroom.

------------------
"..but never ever Fear. Fear is for the enemy. Fear and Bullets."
10mm: It's not the size of the Dawg in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!

Jeff Thomas

It's hard to not like a Kahr K9. Reliable, easy to carry, well made, accurate.

Try one sometime ... especially with the Elite trigger.

Regards from AZ

denfoote

Congrats on your excellent choice. My wife carries the Taurus M85UL too. She loves it!!!

------------------
Yeah, I got a permit to carry,it's called the friggin Constitution.---Ted Nugent

"Glock 26: 17 rounds of concealed carry DEATH comming your way from out of nowhere!!! THAT'S FIREPOWER, BABY!!!"

Taurus 605: Five hits of .357 MAG that will just ruin your day, Scumbag!!!!

7th Fleet

If you plan on carrying it 24/7 then get the Keltec P-32 anything larger/heavier will get left at home and it won't be there when you realllllly need it.

------------------
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL POLICE, KEEP THEM INDEPENDENT.