queations about a mold i have.

Gavlan

Hello folks as the title says I have a mold which I'm curious to know how old you might think it is ,and what cartridge was it intended for ?.

The mold has no vent lines and is a single cavity , it casts a whopping 82gn bullet ( out of my alloy anyway ) and is marked 32362 .

It's marked Ideal not Lyman and I have a lot of old Ideal books going back to the 30's but can't find it, maybe I'm overlooking it, I'm sure it's in one somewhere so i'll look again but for now does anyone have any info on this little baby...?.

p.s I'm going to try post a pic or two but I'm not holding my breath they will work,,,, due to being a computer idiot.. THX.

hartcreek

mehavey gave you a good link. I would use that bullet in a .32-20 as it is a bit too light for an 8mm Mauser or .32 Winchester unless one wanted a plinking load.

Gavlan

mehavey, thank you for the link I have bookmarked it, very informative.

I have the 3 peaks version but yours gives more detail,,:)

hartcreek, your right about using it in 8mm plinking loads I've done it using 3.5gn of Bullseye, but I like the heavier bullets for my 8mm's.
You mentioned the 32-20 , I have a 1901 made Marlin mod 1894 chambered in 32-20 and the biggest bullet I can shoot in it is one I size to .315 ( old rifle , old barrel so a little bigger than in it's younger days ), this mold drops a bullet is at least .323 dia although putting one through my .315 sizer might give me a decent bullet,,,, if it doesn't destroy it ,i'll give it a go,,,

Thanks gents,

stubbicatt

I am not familiar with that bullet, but it sounds like a 32-40 bore size. That would be a pretty light bullet for that caliber, but heck. I guess it would do for woodchucks or the like. I shoot a 200 grain tapered bullet in my 32-40, which casts a .324" base band.

I agree that it seems large for a 32-20.

Gavlan

20151221_185039_zps9lwsaitt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG].

here it is....:confused:

stubbicatt

Ding! The prize goes to Mehavey and chris in va!

Good job fellas. I wonder why they seated that bullet so deeply in the case? Black powder w/o air gap or something?

Gavlan

Thanks fella's ,
A 32-44 S&W huh!!! .
I'm going to have to look it up to see what this gun looks like , I'm curious too why the bullet was seated flush with the mouth,,, very interesting.
The seller states his mold is a .313 dia probably a type-o.
You guy's are aces..

mehavey

In effect, it looked exactly like THIS, only in 32 caliber.

The bullet seated all the way into the case/against the small charge of powder, but kept alligned by the case until it hit the throat of the barrel.

Chambered only for the S&W New Model #3's 44 caliber frame (pictured in the above link), hence the 32-44 designation. Even unto today, one of the most accurate pistol/ammunition combinations ever made.

Gavlan

That's a very handsome looking handgun, i like, i want , i can't afford,,,,,:(.
thanks mehavey i would never have guessed that little 83 grainer would be coming out of gun with a 44 size frame, very nice.:)